Series/Parallel on which humbucker?

xld

Would you set up a neck or a middle humbucker with Series/Parallel switching? Why?
Seems on production guitars I have seen this only on neck humbuckers (Ibanez..Rg652AHM style). Thanks much for your experience and opinions.

Either. It depends on your use case and what you want to achieve. There is no reason to limit it to one pickup.

I use the Ibanez style switching in all of my guitars that have a 2Hum with a blade switch. A neck humbucker in parallel is a great stand in for a neck single coil which is my favorite clean/midgain pickup.

Either. It depends on your use case and what you want to achieve. There is no reason to limit it to one pickup.
Alrighty, to this I will ask...
What difference would one achieve by using Series/Parallel switching on a neck pickup vs using Series/Parallel switching on a middle pickup?
...fun, ain't it!...
supertruper1988, I'm with you and Ibanez. I like the versatility of their switching.
I sold a Prestige 652AHM, because of the longer scale length and neck profile, and regret it. That guitar had a "once in a lifetime" tone.
That guitar is the reason I decided on a Warmoth build. Ash, maple, maple, humbuckers and some type of versatile switching.
So far, the build is very promising...I think I'll get it!

What difference would one achieve by using Series/Parallel switching on a neck pickup vs using Series/Parallel switching on a middle pickup?
...fun, ain't it!...

The same sort of difference you get between a neck or middle pickup of a similar type, given the different wiring. Try it out for yourself.

stratamania, this feels like something is off kilter...I must have asked the wrong question. I thought this may be a good point of discussion given the seemingly unending experience of the forum.

"Has anyone specific information about the differences ... based on their personal experience?" may be a better question.

I ask because "to my recollection" I've seen series/parallel on production guitars only on neck pickups, which leads me to believe there is a probable negative outcome of wiring other position pickups with this option. (However, I'm not a collector or market investigator of all guitars which makes it highly likely that there are some out there.)

As far as trying it myself, I will can/will proceed with that, provided no one with specific experience in the matter chimes in with a probable negative outcome "based on their personal experience".
Thanks again to all!

What I would do is have the ability to put all three humbucking pickups in series, and be able to put them in parallel and then have the ability to split them universally in either series or parallel modes. I'm doing that on my current build.
Why?
Versatility my man. Plus I love hitting them in series, got oomph.

I ask because "to my recollection" I've seen series/parallel on production guitars only on neck pickups, which leads me to believe there is a probable negative outcome of wiring other position pickups with this option.

The conclusion you are making based on limited data is not accurate. There is no reason not to either split, put in parallel or run in series with a humbucker in the middle position in an HHH set up or where the middle pickup is a stacked pickup.

Here is one example.

No, no no stratamania, no conclusions made yet!
Still awaiting the wisdom of my senseis. Only then, with soldering iron in hand will I forge ahead to make my own path and only then if their wisdom has not answered the questions burning in my mind.
If I didn't consider their wisdom, it would be like giving a fledgling scientist a piece of chalk and sending him to a room with only a large chalkboard and the instruction to find out if "E" is related to "M" in any way. Better to build upon the wisdom of "those who have gone before".
Thank God for forums like these!
Rick, I know what you mean about "versatility".... but then I would be wondering from the original intent of a "one sound instrument" with "slight tonal variation", and only that because I have not yet decided to take the build to the fullest extent of the vision. I do have the Warmoth single pickup pick guard in house. With that, I would be committed, or should be committed!!! hehhehheh!
Have you ever been in the bread aisle at the local supermarket and let your eyes wander through the perhaps too many selections available, being slightly overwhelmed, while thinking to yourself "I just want a loaf of bread!" That's what I'm trying to address.
Practical? Impractical? I don't know...but a fun exercise.
Thanks again guys. Have a good day, cause I'm gonna!

We know that a parallel pickup gives you a quasi-single coil tone. This is because the combined resistance of the two coils is *added* in series and *divided* in parallel, so it mimics a weak single coil.

We also know that a pickup is just a pickup, and how it sounds is about where along the string length it is placed. For many many years there was no distinction between the PAF or Strat pickups in any position on the guitars they came in.

All this to say - a middle humbucker put in parallel will sound something like a middle single coil, which also happens to be my least favorite position on a Strat (not say that it’s bad, Lowell George made significant use of it for starters)

I think there is no point in limiting yourself if the highest variety of tones is the goal. But if forced to pick only one to switch to parallel, it would be the neck pickup because I prefer that sound.

If you’re adding a switch, don’t get locked into a false dichotomy by using a DPDT switch. 4PDT would give you the ability to switch both.

Well, unfortunately, being a first world society we have to make absurd decisions like what kind of cereal to buy in the supermarket isle, or what kind of switching to put into a guitar. Frankly, I'm happy for these choices. I've been to plenty of places where life is basic, and living in a place where my wife has access to a hair dryer suits me just fine. You just have to make a decision and go for it. it won't turn out bad.

@xld here is the sensei advice. Just try it and see if you like it. Not much more really that can be said about it.

We know that a parallel pickup gives you a quasi-single coil tone. This is because the combined resistance of the two coils is *added* in series and *divided* in parallel, so it mimics a weak single coil.

We also know that a pickup is just a pickup, and how it sounds is about where along the string length it is placed. For many many years there was no distinction between the PAF or Strat pickups in any position on the guitars they came in.

All this to say - a middle humbucker put in parallel will sound something like a middle single coil, which also happens to be my least favorite position on a Strat (not say that it’s bad, Lowell George made significant use of it for starters)

I think there is no point in limiting yourself if the highest variety of tones is the goal. But if forced to pick only one to switch to parallel, it would be the neck pickup because I prefer that sound.

If you’re adding a switch, don’t get locked into a false dichotomy by using a DPDT switch. 4PDT would give you the ability to switch both.
Hodgo!
An exemplary answer! An excellent answer. Well thought, well reasoned, well written and addressing the original question point on.
My faith is restored! Thank you.
You speak much higher than your "Junior Member" status...

Hodgo!
An exemplary answer! An excellent answer. Well thought, well reasoned, well written and addressing the original question point on.
My faith is restored! Thank you.
You speak much higher than your "Junior Member" status...

Good that someone happened on the answer you were looking for.

stratamania, this feels like something is off kilter...I must have asked the wrong question.

I think so. Probably a language thing.

I thought this may be a good point of discussion given the seemingly unending experience of the forum.
Possibly, a question such as:

I am interested in the tonal differences between humbuckers wired in series versus parallel, can someone describe this for me?
Moreover, will it make a difference tonally when these wirings are applied to a humbucker in the neck versus middle or bridge positions?

I agree with the view that you need to try it. Apart from individual taste, your pickups are probably different from others as well. Personally I like a low output bridge humbucker in the middle position. Series humbucking sounds very fat and full, while parrallel is good for cleaner tones.

I read your other thread where you wrote about your pickup choice of two identical PAF style pickups which seems good to me. Probably a normal toggle or 3-way blade is all you need to get 3 perfectly usable and good sounding tones - my honest opinion! But it would be interesting to try the parallel humbucking mode as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: xld
I think it's mostly done on neck pickups because of the 2HB setup. Three humbuckers is somewhat rareish, though certainly not unheard of. But the kicker IMO is if your chasing 'The Quack' then you're already barking up the wrong tree having a humbucker there at all, and I think that's what most folks are looking for by putting that middle single in. It's kinda like your Uncle George's fake Russian accent, Da? Ift ve tok funknee, Efryboddy nose vat ve intended. But ist not da real ting" However it may be enough when your metal band decides to play an off genre song.

Once again Hodgo, thanks for verbalizing your thought process. Reading your comments brought clarity. The build is now complete. Your thoughts saved me at least one assembly/ disassembly.

Back