Selecting wood (just by looking....)

Notyethendrix

I'm going to build a typical vintage looking strat, maple neck + swamp ash body

Is it possible to select the wood piece as good as possible tone-wise just by looking at the pictures? (let's say by grain, weight, colour..... etc)

I hear some people mention that avoid 'tree eyes' if you can see the grain..... maybe just rumours

Or there's absolutely no way?  :icon_scratch:

it all depends on if you're talking about rough lumber selection or pre-made body selection

if you're talking rough lumber, there's definitely more to consider than just looks. for something pre-made like the Warmoth bodies and necks ... it's all about eye candy and choosing the right electronics

just my two Indian Rupees

R

Go by looks and weight, I think lighter is gonna have great unplugged acoustics, whereas heavy is gonna have better sustain.

Lightweight and less unplugged sustain can be overcome with volume (feedback)

Depends on what finish you are going to do; if transparent like Butterscotch or Vintage Sunburst, you may want to pick some out with prettier grain; if doing a vintage solid color finish, doesn't matter at all, go for best price or weight. The grain pattern or number of pieces used to make the body won't make in difference in sound. The only thing that might matter a little bit is if you go an "extra light" ash body the body wood can be a bit more resonant especially if you play at volume.

Back