See Emily (not being) Play(ed)

Triguy98

Mostly finished "Emily", my Gilmour tribute black strat. Been dreaming about this guitar for years, and today she became a reality. Waiting for Warmoth to ship out the battery box they left out of the shipment, but other than that, and needing to add a full coverage aluminum shield, she's done.

Specs: Warmoth modern body with single battery box route. Birdseye maple neck with SRV profile, ebony skunk strip and plug. Callaham tremolo system, vintage tuners from Warmoth, beveled black acrylic pick guard from Overdrive Custom Guitars, EMG DG20 pickups.
2co60zm.jpg

35d7uhu.jpg

33aza6e.jpg

2evrhqs.jpg

vsl5iw.jpg

You know See Emily played was written and guitar played by Syd Barrett?  :icon_scratch:

Anyway...

I was looking at those pickups myself for a Strat type build, which hasn't got a battery box, would it all fit? 

amigarobbo said:
You know See Emily played was written and guitar played by Syd Barrett?  :icon_scratch:

Anyway...

I was looking at those pickups myself for a Strat type build, which hasn't got a battery box, would it all fit?

Yeah, I know, but try coming up with a better Pink Floyd themed girl name for a guitar... Vera isn't exactly great sounding.

Some people stick the battery under the pickguard, and others in the tremolo cavity. I prefer the battery box option for ease of access and to not have it banging around anywhere.

Logrinn said:
Very nice!  :icon_thumright:
I imagine it sounds really good too.

Thanks! It does sound great. Still learning how to use the controls. Very different than any other guitar I have ever had or played with.

Triguy98 said:
amigarobbo said:

Anyway...

Yeah, I know, but try coming up with a better Pink Floyd themed girl name for a guitar... Vera isn't exactly great sounding.

Julia?

You won't believe how long that too dredge that one up...  :icon_scratch: , and it was Written by Roger Waters

amigarobbo said:
Julia?

You won't believe how long that too dredge that one up...  :icon_scratch: , and it was Written by Roger Waters

I would believe it. I am a huge Floyd fan- I have tapes and vinyl going back pretty far, and I missed that one. Hmmm.

Nice, I like the strap too. Just gives it the added vibe.

Do you plan to build a red one also at some point ?

I'd toss Cymbaline into the mix... But whatever you call her she looks like a fine axe! I dig the strap, is that the Jeri Hart? How are you liking the Callaham trem? I've been considering one for an upcoming Strat build.

Verne Bunsen said:
I'd toss Cymbaline into the mix... But whatever you call her she looks like a fine axe! I dig the strap, is that the Jeri Hart? How are you liking the Callaham trem? I've been considering one for an upcoming Strat build.

Ive got a couple of Callaham Trems and a Tele bridge, they are very nice quality parts if that helps.

Verne Bunsen said:
I dig the strap, is that the Jeri Hart? How are you liking the Callaham trem? I've been considering one for an upcoming Strat build.

Believe it or not, my little sister made the strap for me for Christmas a few years ago. It blew my mind when I pulled it out of the box.

This will likely be my last strat. As much as i would love a red one, my wife would kill me. I have a sunburst that I wouldn't mind getting a nicer body and bridge for, but the electronics and neck are awesome. Kinda eyeballing the LP style bodies on clearance, but that will be a couple years off. I already have a great LP in my Tradition S-20.

The Callaham bridge is top notch. I have one of the "heaviest" GFS blocks in my sunburst, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Callaham in weight or construction. The parts all fit beautifully, the action is perfect, and it returns to tune easily. Only thing I might change is maybe the tuners. I REALLY like the double hole post Wilkinson tuners I have on the sunburst. Easy  to string and hold tune just fine. We will see how the vintage tuners work for me. My first attempt at stringing them isn't pretty.

The neck is interesting. Thicker than my sunburst, but slightly thinner than my Tradition. Definitely a different feel. First time with jumbo frets and a maple board, too. I like it, it's just going to take some getting used to.

Triguy98 said:

Atom Heart Mother?? I'd stick with Emily...........

BigSteve22 said:
Triguy98 said:

Atom Heart Mother?? I'd stick with Emily...........

How about "Mother"?

[youtube]ngX5jJVrx8U[/youtube]

Triguy98 said:
Believe it or not, my little sister made the strap for me for Christmas a few years ago. It blew my mind when I pulled it out of the box.

How cool!

Good to know that about the Callaham.

Triguy98 said:
Mostly finished "Emily", my Gilmour tribute black strat. Been dreaming about this guitar for years, and today she became a reality. Waiting for Warmoth to ship out the battery box they left out of the shipment, but other than that, and needing to add a full coverage aluminum shield, she's done.

Specs: Warmoth modern body with single battery box route. Birdseye maple neck with SRV profile, ebony skunk strip and plug. Callaham tremolo system, vintage tuners from Warmoth, beveled black acrylic pick guard from Overdrive Custom Guitars, EMG DG20 pickups.
Excellent!  That's almost exactly my guitar, except mine doesn't come with the cool Gilmourish strap. 

Here's the thread I did on it back when I built it:
http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=2826.msg28886#msg28886

Very nice build!  Love the birdseye maple neck.  Clean and chic. I might have missed it in the description, but what is the body wood? 

Gorgeous. I've got a thing for black and sunburst Strats too. Yours is top-knotch. Nice work.

Back