SD tripple shot pickup ring

bpmorton777

interesting!

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/triple-shot/triple_shot_swi/

is this new? havnt seen it before

Brian

As a fan of the S/S/P switching, I gotta say... that's pretty damn cool.  I wonder if it gets in the way while playing?  A very cool alternative though for rear routes without having to add all sorts of extra switches.

I'm almost temped to pick one up for my N4.

I was just doing a little digging on.  It doesn't look like they're out yet, but looks like they'll be selling for $50+.

If you care about aesthetics, it's worth it, but for the price a $10 three way on/on/on is a bit more economical.

while driving home for lunch I was thinking about this a little more. Looks like you'd have to snip the pickup wires pretty short for these rendering any further modification difficult..also if you dont like the pickups and want to sell them, nobody's gonna want em with stubby wires.

Brian

Brilliant. I predict that we're going to see a whole lot more modular, efficient, and/or soldering-free designs soon. Dicking around with guitar guts is a big growth industry, now that boomies are too old/fat/lazy to continue entertaining their star fantasies. Why doesn't this ring come as an option on the pickups... then the long wires (two only!) come from the switch.... one thing it doesn't allow (exactly) is the use of a five-way to recombine coils from different pickups, but I'm of the school that the more switches, the better...  :toothy12: I know, I know, when you're on stage at Carnegie Hall, you want simple switching so you don't get all flustered & confused during your big solo. :help:

(Q: if you're that dumb, how did you get onstage at Carnegie Hall to begin with?) :blob7:

This was announced during winter NAMM.  It was apparently driven by requests from P-rail owners who for whatever reason didn't/couldn't wire up the options.  Some didn't want to drill in a vintage instrument and others couldn't wrap their head around the wiring.  I'm still wondering how easy it'll be to switch on the fly.

taez555 said:
I was just doing a little digging on.  It doesn't look like they're out yet, but looks like they'll be selling for $50+.

If you care about aesthetics, it's worth it, but for the price a $10 three way on/on/on is a bit more economical.

well, not in a nice old gibson where you really don't want to drill for a toggle. I prefer these rings, cause they're rings and high-grade toggles in one.

dbw said:
How do we know they're high-grade?  Could be junk.

right... as if seymour duncan would sell junk. besides, I was able to get the specs of those things, the switches, and they're really durable.

I'm not sold on it, as I haven't tried it (obviously), but I am intrigued... I will certainly give it a shot. BUT, can you still switch pups via a standard 3-way switch? I am not sure I understand how that would happen.

it looks like it just modifies your output signal, so yes, you run the output signal to your 3-way/5-way switch as normal.

exalted said:
it looks like it just modifies your output signal, so yes, you run the output signal to your 3-way/5-way switch as normal.
Exactly.  It takes your four-conductor pickup connections and sends out a single-conductor signal.

nathana said:
I'm not sold on it, as I haven't tried it (obviously), but I am intrigued... I will certainly give it a shot. BUT, can you still switch pups via a standard 3-way switch? I am not sure I understand how that would happen.

its just like the single/serie/parallel switch you use. you solder the red white black and green leads to the right spot (labeld r w g b ) and out of the ring, there's a braided wire, or  2 conducter, I dont know, but one of those for sure (read that on the SD board, and I'm too tired to look it up right now). and thats what you use as the new wire for your pickup. that acts like how you used to know how you solder pickups.

so no more fiddling in cramped cavities. its just straight forward, and easy as hell.

Orpheo said:
nathana said:

its just like the single/serie/parallel switch you use. you solder the red white black and green leads to the right spot (labeld r w g b ) and out of the ring, there's a braided wire, or  2 conducter, I dont know, but one of those for sure (read that on the SD board, and I'm too tired to look it up right now). and thats what you use as the new wire for your pickup. that acts like how you used to know how you solder pickups.

so no more fiddling in cramped cavities. its just straight forward, and easy as hell.

Seems pretty tasty.... I will buy when I finally come up with a use for it. New build!

They're at Wymore now:

http://www.shop.wymoreguitars.com/product.sc;jsessionid=26AB66F803C78D421ED5DA34FEC6B0E5.qscstrfrnt02?categoryId=46&productId=574

On the Seymour Duncan forums, I think they said there was room in there to wrap the humbucker cable  around the humbucker, but I haven't tried it myself.

Jet-Jaguar said:
They're at Wymore now:

http://www.shop.wymoreguitars.com/product.sc;jsessionid=26AB66F803C78D421ED5DA34FEC6B0E5.qscstrfrnt02?categoryId=46&productId=574

On the Seymour Duncan forums, I think they said there was room in there to wrap the humbucker cable  around the humbucker, but I haven't tried it myself.

I really hate this. WHY the HELL wouldn't he ship abroad?!

jerk.

It says he does.

http://www.shop.wymoreguitars.com/main.sc
    * PO Box 601
      Gladstone, OR 97027
    * (503) 704-2612
    * sales@wymoreguitars.com
Non-USA Buyers:

Our shopping cart is not set up to accept non-USA/Canada postal codes or phone numbers at this time. If you are ordering outside the USA or Canada please use 503-704-2612 as a phone number, OR as the state and 97027 as a zip code. Please add your actual address and postal code in the order notes section. Overseas shipping costs will be manually added to your billing. We are sorry for this inconvenience and have been trying to get this worked with our shopping cart provider.

All non-USA/Canada orders will have USPS International Priority added shipping charges added. This is about $24.00 for packages up to 1.5 pounds. We charge only actual shipping fees, no additional handling charges. We are always happy to provide overseas shipping quotes.

Canadian orders will also have additional USPS International Priority shipping charges of about $17.00 added for packages up to 1.5 pounds. Again, we charge only actual shipping fees, no additional handling charges. We are always happy to provide overseas shipping quotes.

More Wymore quotes:

I'd wanna know HOW "back" before I send off money.... once they're really out they'll be everywhere Duncan pickups are, which is all over the place. :cool01:

Back