Schaller Hannes

Perry Combover

As I was looking for a hardtail bridge for my next project, I stumbled along this:

http://schaller-electronic.com/hp153521/Schaller-Steg-_Hannes.htm

Anyone tried one yet?  I wonder what it would take for W to start offering a bridge route for it.

God I hate Schaller's page. Every time I go in there I end up spending vast amounts of quality time just drooling over all the various parts.  :evil4:
MULLY

Perry Combover said:
As I was looking for a hardtail bridge for my next project, I stumbled along this:

http://schaller-electronic.com/hp153521/Schaller-Steg-_Hannes.htm

Anyone tried one yet?  I wonder what it would take for W to start offering a bridge route for it.

It's an interesting design and one of these days I'm going to find a way to use one, but I haven't yet.

You might also consider the Scartozi bridge in brass. Worked wonders on this Tele.

IMG_1815_Sm.JPG

I've also had good results from the very comfortable and attractive Hipshot part...

312.jpg

Base is machined from brass and saddles are stainless steel, all of which can be had in chrome, gold or black.

IIRC, the Warmoth guys thought it nice enough, though not superior to anything else.  Also the saddles need the strings to hold them in place, so a broken string, or simply changing a string, they were prone to being lost easily.

Bodies routed for the Schaller Hannes bridge are available at USA Custom Guitars. I've ordered a couple of them and it all worked out great.

It's a similar concept to the Hipshot single bass bridge , prevents cross talk .  On a guitar , not such a problem .  I do like it on a bass , Warmoth use to offer routing for it.

One of these times I'll try to get around to trying one - I have absolute confidence in advertising copywriters to make something sound great on paper. But until I hear one... for example (from Schaller):
If the strings are in a common carrier, then each of the individual vibrations is subject to the physical influence of the other vibrating strings in the group, thus compromising their harmonious response. This has undesirable crosstalk effects - the acoustic energy between the strings is nullified and/or, alternately, strengthened.
This is the basis for many, many claims and several innovations designed to fix it - expensive innovations - Hannes, Toone, 2Tek etc. - yet I have never, ever seen any physical proof that the above claim is TRUE. And it would be easy to generate that proof, tone range and sustain are measurable qualities. In the absence of evidence, I can just as "definitively" state the opposite, that the "conversation" among the string's vibrations results in enhanced aural coupling* and reinforcement of the boodly-doodlesnitz. Blah blah blah. But then again:
A further improvement over conventional designs is the larger contact surface over which the vibrations are carried from the bridge to the body. Depending on the design, the coupling with conventional bridges is via tiny stud screws or knife edge tabs only. Therefore, these types of small transfer surfaces are also known as “micro-coupling”.

Now THAT makes sense to me; in fact the only time I would use a single-unit bridge that mounts on two posts only, like the PRS hardtail, would be if it was compensatable** without the two little hex screws engaged. Depending on a surface area of maybe half a millimeter combined to carry the whole load  seems like goofy engineering -

and, of course, I have absolutely no proof either! :laughing3:
But I'm ME, and so is my money. :cool01:

*(did NOT say "oral coupling", you gutterbrane.)

**(ah spelzo goot nevn my imaginary wrdz z'rite!)

Back