Scale Length Shootout Video

aarontunes

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Staff member
Prepare to be dazzled:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/PHY4AD55wuM[/youtube]

Well done! I'm really happy to see this one - the question does come up a lot. I thought the difference was so subtle that it's almost not worthy of discussion - it could very easily get attributed to playing style*, since you're one of those... whaddaya call... humans.

*One thing I did notice was how effortlessly/consistently/unobtrusively you were able to snap pinch harmonics. Kudos on your skills!

Another super video! I detected a very slight difference between the two but if I had run to refill my coffee mug between them, the difference would have gone unnoticed.

Great information and Aaron, you did a spectacular job as usual.

That Northern Lights guitar looks splendid, by the way.

That was cool. Thanks especially for taking the effort and care to use the same piece of lumber for both necks.  That was the first thing I thought of that might skew the results.

I'm curious what you do with all of the guitars you test in the videos.  Is there a room somewhere with guitars piled high?

The Northern Lights finish is incredible!

Appreciate the clean test... it's annoying when someone A/B's two things and it's drenched in multi stage distortion, that kind of muffles the results. I wonder what the difference would be with single coils.

I've done this with a T body and single coils before. Results were essentially the same.

A couple people on the YouTubes have brought up how I didn't change string gauges to ensure that the string tensions was the same on both guitars. My prediction for the results: essentially the same.

I've done a half-dozen of these shootout videos now. The two things I've learned are:

1. There is no smoking gun. When you isolate a single thing, the resulting differences are always subtle. A guitar's voice is the culmination of every part of it.
2. No matter how much effort you put into eliminating variables, people will find a way to criticize it.

I do both clean and distorted tests because people like both. Honestly, I can often hear differences clearly with distortion that I have a hard time pickup up with clean tones.

The Aaron said:
I've done this with a T body and single coils before. Results were essentially the same.

A couple people on the YouTubes have brought up how I didn't change string gauges to ensure that the string tensions was the same on both guitars. My prediction for the results: essentially the same.

I've done a half-dozen of these shootout videos now. The two things I've learned are:

1. There is no smoking gun. When you isolate a single thing, the resulting differences are always subtle. A guitar's voice is the culmination of every part of it.
2. No matter how much effort you put into eliminating variables, people will find a way to criticize it.

I do both clean and distorted tests because people like both. Honestly, I can often hear differences clearly with distortion that I have a hard time pickup up with clean tones.
You could do a video playing one string on two different lengths of a 2 x 4 and someone would find some reason to criticize...

And I concour, most of the time I can hear more variations with distortion than on clean setting.. :headbang4: :guitarplayer2:

I'm not surprised. Distorted signals often have more harmonic content, more evenly expressed (compressed), and the human ear is more sensitive to dissonance than consonance. I know a couple guys who almost exclusively tune to chords, rather than single notes. It's easier to hear if something's out. Although, it's more difficult to identify what's out, which I suspect is why you don't see that done more often.

Cagey said:
I'm not surprised. Distorted signals often have more harmonic content, more evenly expressed (compressed), and the human ear is more sensitive to dissonance than consonance. I know a couple guys who almost exclusively tune to chords, rather than single notes. It's easier to hear if something's out. Although, it's more difficult to identify what's out, which I suspect is why you don't see that done more often.
An old guitar teacher I had way back in the early 80's tuned guitars that way. Which I thought was odd, but I would notice that his guitar would always sound a bit off of mine or vice versa. And he showed me thru a tuner that mine would be slightly off. I had to retrain myself to tune his way. He would even tune open string, starting from high E string and would be spot on..

I haven't tried one yet, but I wonder if one of those "polyphonic" tuners would make that easier?

iu

That's one version, but in hunting down that pic I notice there's actually a bunch of manufacturers offering them now. Lets you see 6 strings at once.

Cagey said:
I haven't tried one yet, but I wonder if one of those "polyphonic" tuners would make that easier?

iu

That's one version, but in hunting down that pic I notice there's actually a bunch of manufacturers offering them now. Lets you see 6 strings at once.
:icon_thumright:

AWESOME!!!!!!

Thanks for this!  I did hear some differences, but as mentioned, not hugely impactful.  I caught a little bit more "snappiness" on the 25.5" with an edgier tone, while the 24.75" was rounder / fuller.

Great vid and by the way, beautiful guitar and great playing.

Back