Sanding a Neck

Kinksi

Hello All,

I have a wonderful Warmoth 59 All Rosewood Neck (unfinished). It plays and feels incredible. However, I would like to smooth out the grain on the back of the neck JUST A BIT. What grade sandpaper should I use? I'm talking a very minor sanding job, just to get the wood extra smooth.

Also, let me know if you think this is a bad idea.

thanks!

:eek:ccasion14:

I use 2000 Wet/Dry paper but it will polish the wood.  They feel like glass and now drag at all.

It will polish the wood? I did not get that last part of your comment. Does it feel sticky?    :dontknow:

Thanks!

Kinksi said:
It will polish the wood? I did not get that last part of your comment. Does it feel sticky?     :dontknow:

Thanks!
I think what Tonar ment to say was it would be like an ice cube on a hot plate, no friction....

It will make it shine and be smooth.  No drag or friction while you play.  It will not get as glossy as this maple but the wood you are looking at has no finish on the back.  Look through my posts and you can see how I do the whole process.

IMG_1317.jpg

Tonar8353 said:
It will make it shine and be smooth.  No drag or friction while you play.  It will not get as glossy as this maple but the wood you are looking at has no finish on the back.  Look through my posts and you can see how I do the whole process.

IMG_1317.jpg
Hey Tonar, whatcha got there on the guitar stand sunning? Your guitar getting a tan... :icon_scratch:

Warmoth already did some sanding on it; you're just doing a little more. I'd take Tonar's advice for sure.

kreig said:
Max said:
He does that with his blonde teles. It's pretty sweet. They amber up nicely.
Then whats with the frets being equidistant?

That means it's a rhythm guitar, only on lead guitars do the frets get closer together as you go up the neck. You should know this stuff.

RLW said:
kreig said:
Max said:
He does that with his blonde teles. It's pretty sweet. They amber up nicely.

That means it's a rhythm guitar, only on lead guitars do the frets get closer together as you go up the neck. You should know this stuff.

Hey folks, I have a lead bass guitar !!!

great! So i can just use some 2000 wet/dry and give it polish? Sounds good to me!

Thanks guys.

:icon_thumright:

RLW said:
[/quote]

oh . . . :laughing3:

That is actually a direct quote from a music store salesman from back in the early 70's.

RLW said:
That is actually a direct quote from a music store salesman from back in the early 70's.
so there was more than one equidistant fretted neck ?

fretboards have a logarithmic spacing, just like the db scale and the Richter scale .. it's nature

I think the frets look equidistant because of the camera angle.  If you judge the distance from one fret by another by looking at the flame, then you can see it's perfectly normal.

It's probably too late to point this out, but rosewood dust is toxic.  Make sure you wear a mask and do your work in a well ventilated area. ;)

I've sanded a few maple necks to a polish, my understanding is that you're basically mushing up the the structure of the grain right at the surface so it forms a kind of skin.  It gets very smooth and it closes off the grain to things like new finishes and moisture even more than it was before.  But does this work with rosewood as well?  I thought rosewood had a larger grain than maple, like mahogany.  I've never worked with a rosewood neck.  Can you really polish rosewood to a smooth grain?

Back