Rush

Alfang said:
Anorak you sure about the Beatles having a longer streak of anything than anybody, they only were together about 10-12 years or whatever, I guess I don't understand what exactly your saying, and that's my fault for being a dumbass, not you

I know you didn't ask me - but I think everything Beatles-flavored that's come out since the band broke up has also gone gold/platinum.  And that's a lotta product.

anorakDan said:
lmfao! The Stones really have always been Mick & Keith first, everybody else second.

Well, bass/drum/keyboard players have always been somewhat fungible in R&R bands. The lead singer and/or guitarist are usually who carries the group and gives it identity. Of course, that's just a generality and certainly not 100% - witness Rush or ZZ Top. Tough to discount 2/3 of the band as "also-ran" members in those situations. And you could hardly say the keyboard player was a commodity for Yes or the Edgar Winter group.

That's the most effed up La Villa Strangiato I think I've ever heard.  Wow.  Talk about a band managing to keep a song interesting after 30 years...

Bagman, I agree, maybe it's just a bad mix for the video or something, it sure sounded like all of them were 1/2 a beat off

That was a great vid, always been a big Rush fan...Sad about Neil's family, and dayuuuuuuuuum, he took a looooooooooooooooooooong motorcycle ride....Over 55,000 miles... :doh:

Mayflown said:
AutoBat said:
I'd like to once again voice my unpopular opinion: I do not like Rush.

There is just no accounting for taste.  :icon_biggrin:

No, that's cool. They're not for everybody. I don't think they've ever tried to be. Fought against it, really. One of the things I admire about Rush is they made a conscious decision to go their own way and whoever wanted to follow along was welcome. In an era dominated by radio airplay, they made radio-unfriendly music. They certainly made a brave move having Geddy sing. But it works! You may hate the sound of his voice, but it works. I don't love every note Alex plays. So what? Without him, it wouldn't be Rush. They are what they are. Neil's lyrics are ... well a reflection of whatever Neil is reading at the time.

Another thing about Rush I love and admire is their humor and their ability to take fame with a healthy dose of reality. Contrast and compare with say,...David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen. Those guys take themselves way too seriously.

Geddy uses sandwich vending machines and dryers onstage in place of amps and speaker cabs! They have fun onstage. They don't take their stardom too seriously. They bravely chart their own career path, and their lineup has remained stable and co-equal for decades.

It's okay to hate Rush. Doesn't make you a lesser person in my eyes!

Alfang said:
Bagman, I agree, maybe it's just a bad mix for the video or something, it sure sounded like all of them were 1/2 a beat off

I think I wasn't entirely clear  - it's an effed up LVS, but I mean that in a good way.  it's got a delightful loopiness to it.  And interpolating "The Girl From Ipanema" is just brilliant.  It's just completely NOT the self-important, self-absorbed grimness one often associates with prog rock.  Kinda refreshing.  As anorakDan notes, they're a band doing it their own way and having fun at it.  The last thing I want when I see a band of tremendously accomplished musicians is to watch them go through the motions of a note-for-note rendition of the version that appeared on the album - what a bore for everyone involved.  This is a blast! 

If I didn't hate crowds of people in arenas so much, I'd actually enjoy going to see them live again one day.  But that's my problem, not theirs.

Bagman

Alfang said:
Anorak you sure about the Beatles having a longer streak of anything than anybody, they only were together about 10-12 years or whatever, I guess I don't understand what exactly your saying, and that's my fault for being a dumbass, not you

This is from Wikipedia, "As a group, Rush possesses 24 gold records and 14 platinum (3 multi-platinum) records.[4] Rush's sales statistics place them third behind The Beatles and The Rolling Stones for the most consecutive gold or platinum studio albums by a rock band.[5]"

That's where I got the information from. Take for what it's worth.

AndyG said:
Rush has only had one member change in their professional history ... the drummer on the first album was a guy named John Rutsy.  Neil Peart joined for Fly By Night, and the rest is history.  I agree that the band would not be the same if anyone left, but Alex Lifeson's "solo" project, a band called Victor, sounded somewhat like Rush.  Neil wrote a book as his "solo project", and the only outside projects that I know of that Geddy Lee ever did were his lead vocal on Bob and Doug MacEnzie's "Take Off", and his involvement in the Northern Lights song "Tears are Not Enough".

Geddy did a great solo album called My Favorite Headache. It sounds like Rush in the same way that Alex's solo project sounded like Rush. But when you consider that the two solo projects are by the two members of the band that write the music... Makes sense.

I agree with the statement that Alex doesn't play what is always expected. When you're learning some of his solos, you expect a part or two to be quirky either in fingering or phrasing. I love the lead in Limelight, for example, but it isn't the way that I would have phrased it. Still, there's no doubt of the genius behind it.

Tonight on VH1 Classic they are showing the Time Machine 2011: Live in Cleveland concert video . :headbang:

anorakDan said:
Alfang said:

This is from Wikipedia, "As a group, Rush possesses 24 gold records and 14 platinum (3 multi-platinum) records.[4] Rush's sales statistics place them third behind The Beatles and The Rolling Stones for the most consecutive gold or platinum studio albums by a rock band.[5]"

That's where I got the information from. Take for what it's worth.
And the puke phuks from the RNR HOF still won't induct them into the HOF...bastards.. :laughing8:

Crappy said:
Tonight on VH1 Classic they are showing the Time Machine 2011: Live in Cleveland concert video . :headbang:

Thank you! Just set my reminder! If I only had a dvr....

First commercial break... this is GREAT! I love the intro! I have to get a print of this movie!

anorakDan said:
First commercial break... this is GREAT! I love the intro! I have to get a print of this movie!
VH1 cut some songs out

Set 1:
Time Stand Still
Stick It Out
Workin' Them Angels
Leave That Thing Alone

Set 2:
Drum Solo (Love 4 Sale)
Closer to the Heart (with Alex acoustic intro)
2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx

Encore:
La Villa Strangiato

Looks like the DVD will be out 11/8.

That was the best tuba/accordian version of Closer to the Heart that I've ever heard. :toothy12:

Back