Rubiks Cube

Mor Paul

Epic Member
So, being stuck in eras before I was born, I bought a Rubik's Cube last night (went to 4 stores looking for them). I didn't want the fancy ones, just the 80's approved ones.

Who here enjoys Rubik's Cubes? And who's good at speedcubing? (I'm still trying to solve my first)

My brain refuses to grasp those things. However, I LOVE messing with one of these...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soma_cube

This is wierd.  I've never been a fan of the Rubik's Cube, but I vaguely recall one being in a dream last night.  :tard:

I have a good friend who got seriously hooked on cubing a year or so ago. He got really good too - he could finish one in 1min 30secs or something.

I used to be able to do it in 5-10 minutes, but I forgot all my moves.

For a while there was a big Rubiks Cube fad among the girls in my dorm at school.  It was sort of bizarre, you'd walk into the lounge and there are four girls sitting there intently solving Rubiks Cubes in dead silence...

I've gotten the bottom and top finished, and all but 4 corners along the top, but that's when I mess the thing up.

I was more interested in seein how they worked, so I usually jus took them apart..... Then peel all the stickers off so that it was just plain black, problem solved... :icon_biggrin:

DangerousR6 said:
I was more interested in seein how they worked, so I usually jus took them apart..... Then peel all the stickers off so that it was just plain black, problem solved... :icon_biggrin:

My Grandfather was an Aggie.  He had an Aggie Rubik's cube.  It was all maroon.

Max, I think solving them should make anyone a certifiable genius.

front_sleeper_front.jpg
I'd rather have one of those. :laughing7:

man if you can solve one of those without help you are some kind of genius. I knew people that were good at them, but I think they learned how to do it from someone else or a book or something. Or you can take it apart and put it back together correctly. BTW - - if you take a cube apart and put it back together wrong it can never be solved (or so I heard back in the day). I was never smart enough to be able to solve one normally.

That's correct, if you take off a corner, rotate it in any direction, and reattach it, it will be impossible to solve.

dbw said:
That's correct, if you take off a corner, rotate it in any direction, and reattach it, it will be impossible to solve.

I wish I had known that 20 years ago!  There were some people that I would have loved to torture with a suitably modified cube  :evil4:

People who are good at the cube will get to the end and realize that one piece has been turned.  It's never possible to rotate/flip only a single piece.

Bought one for my son for Xmas last year. got hooked on it. I can solve it in about 1min30 been playing with the 4x4 a little bit harder and that one takes about 20mins or so.

I've got the basics on solving them now. Just need to memorize the moves and I'll be good. Then I'll start working on my time.

I think I'll give a friend a modified Rubik's Cube for his birthday  :toothy12: He's kinda OCD too.

I can solve up until the last move really fast, but I always mess up the last part and have to start over.  But it seems to me there is a really good video on youtube about solving it.

Back