RouterBeast - how do you handle dust collection?

mayfly

Epic Member
Hey folks, looking for advice and insights.

I make use of my routerBeast on a regular basis, mostly for circle cutting using a jasper circle jig, but occasionally to trim veneer and (in a router table) make round-overs.

I every case it makes a huge mess. 

How do you guys avoid this?  I can imagine hooking up dust collection to the table, but I have no idea how to handle it when I'm using the circle jig (for example).  What do you guys do?  Anything interesting you've seen?

Honestly, unless you have a router with a vacuum attachment there is none.    When I use a router I try to have a helper handy (usually one of my kids) with my vacuum hose to pick up as much as they can as I go along.  I also stop at times to vacuum any cavity I may be working on.  It is a messy process no matter what.

Does your table have a vacuum attachment?  Both my table band saw and rotary sanders have attachments and they work like a charm.  I purchased a hose kit from Amazon for about $20 will all different end fittings that works great!

Good luck and always wear ear and eye protection!!!!

I took the box that my bandsaw came in, cut the top and bottom off then split one corner. I use this like a folding screen to surround the work piece and confine the stuff to one area, then I shop vac it all up when it gets too much or I'm done. About all you can do unless you have an elaborate and expensive dust collection system.

Thank you both!

DMRACO, no the table does not have a dust collection spigot (it's just a cheapie).  Beginning to see the attraction of such a fitting.

Phil - that's a heck of an idea.  Might just do that with some poster-board that the kids used last year.

I generally set up outside in the driveway when releasing the routerbeast. This keeps the dust and blood out of the shop (garage), and if there is a breeze I stay downwind because it can smell your fear.

and if there is a breeze I stay downwind because it can smell your fear.

. :laughing11: :laughing11:

. Ain't that the truth.................. :headbang:

Router is the scariest and most useful tool in the shop.  It can be your best friend or ruin a project very quickly.  I equate it to a Colt 45 sidearm. 

I just take the shop vac and tape/clamp/affix it to catch the most it can but unless I'm using my router table, it still makes a lot of dust that needs to be vacuumed up afterwards or between steps. Safety glasses, a face shield and a filter mask are my friends.

The router table has a shop vac attachment on it so it draws most of the dust down around the bit and into the enclosed underside of the table. Some of it even makes it into the shop vac but a lot does need to be cleaned out when I'm done. It still throws stuff around but not as badly as without the vac running.

Vacuum just held in the routerbeast dust port like this (note the high tech extended base):

CkdzQjb.jpg

I just clamp the vacuum nozzle in a vice on the side of the router table when using that. Otherwise it's just sweep/vacuum up afterwards. As previously mentioned, dust mask - and safety glasses - always!

The CNC router hooks to a cyclone connected to a low noise vac. If I'm using the router by hand I just go outside with it.

I took phil's advice and set up a little screen with some posterboard we had lying around. It covered about half the area on top of the bench.

end result: worked great!  Had a lot less crap on the floor to sweep up, as most was contained by the board.  A win I think!  Now just to make it bigger...

Blew up my rabbet bit this afternoon, and also discovered I have no top bearing bits smaller than 3/4" dia. During my tool shopping, I noticed this:

detail.jpg

https://tinyurl.com/y7sv5yfy

Back