Roasted Maple on different bodies

So we've all seen how candy apple red looks with a rosewood vs maple fretboard... i am looking for examples of roasted maple paired with different body colors.  as of now I will be putting it on a sonic blue strat body.  Anyone have any pics??? open to suggestions... the idea of smooth raw maple is making me finally pull the trigger on a warmoth!  other finish examples besides sonic blue are welcome and desired!

Well I got 2 but not with blue. I'll show ya the backside since one has an ebony board and the other a rosewood.
019_1.jpg

002-7.jpg

I'll throw in a pic of the sea-foam green one since that is closer to the color your looking for. It has a canary neck. It has some of the color as roasted and some bonus colors.  Might help with your visioning  :toothy11:
001.jpg

I don't have any Sonic Blue examples, but I have Ice Blue and Fiesta Red Teles with roasted Maple necks on them...

Attachments

• IMG_2933_Sm.JPG
    IMG_2933_Sm.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 2,003
  • IMG_2940_Sm.JPG
    IMG_2940_Sm.JPG
    261 KB · Views: 1,008
Cagey said:
I don't have any Sonic Blue examples, but I have Ice Blue and Fiesta Red Teles with roasted Maple necks on them...

That fiesta red tele is a beaut Cagey! That is gonna be real nice. What pickups?

Surf n Music said:
That fiesta red tele is a beaut Cagey! That is gonna be real nice. What pickups?

Thanks! Totally unplanned build - it just sorta happened  :icon_biggrin:

The pickups are Bill Lawrence's Tele set of MicroCoils. Actual single coils, not stacked or noise cancelling, but still noiseless. Remarkable little rascals.

When it gets here I can show BK and Roast maple. At least the backside

The more of these pics I see, the more I start thinking that roasted maple is pretty versatile aesthetically...I have a body I need to match a neck to, and although I prefer contrast (light body to darker neck and vice versa), the body is a bit - "in-between," so I've been scratching my head on neck choices....but yeah, now I'm thinking that roasted maple might handle those odd in-between shades that might seem hard to match with anything else...

Cagey said:
Interesting bridge on that Fiesta Tele. Looks like a Roller TOM on a Tele plate?

TBurst Std said:
Interesting bridge on that Fiesta Tele. Looks like a Roller TOM on a Tele plate?

That's essentially it. You can't tell from the pictures of mine, but I gotta call/write and find out where the height adjusters are. You can see them in this picture....

thumbnail.asp

...but mine didn't come with them. Nice part otherwise, though, and not terribly expensive.

You do have to be aware that it's spaced/designed for a "vintage" Tele body. Won't work on a modern (post '64 or so) Tele body. String through-holes won't line up by a good 1/4". Needless to say, my Drawer of Misfit Parts now contains a spare Tele bridge...

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Cagey, that carved top Tele is Scrumptralescent!

Yeah, it's quite a piece. I didn't spec the thing; I snatched it off eBay. What's weird about it is the woods it's made of. It's a Maple top over Black Korina with all the fatboy cutouts. Why anybody would paint it is beyond me. Then it's got that ice blue finish with cream binding. Somebody paid a pile of money for this thing. But, for me, it was one of those freakish deals where I didn't bid very high, but won it anyway. Surprised the hell out of me. Apparently, nobody else saw it.

That's the third neck I've bought for it, but I think that's the keeper. I bought an all curly Maple neck, then an Ebony over curly Maple neck, but this one seems to fit the best. So, now I'm sorta in the body market  :icon_biggrin:

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Cagey, that carved top Tele is Scrumptralescent!

This! My literally dropped when I saw that one. I'm not a huge fan of Telecasters, but I could love that one to pieces.

Here it is on black. I don't think you could go wrong with roasted maple against any color.

Attachments

• NStrat01s.JPG
    NStrat01s.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 994
rgand said:
Here it is on black. I don't think you could go wrong with roasted maple against any color.

I agree. Plus, it burnishes up like glass without the stickiness of a gloss finish, and it stays that way. I sincerely hope Warmoth bought about 9000 cords of the stuff 8' deep so they don't run out in any reasonable future.

Cagey said:
rgand said:

I agree. Plus, it burnishes up like glass without the stickiness of a gloss finish, and it stays that way. I sincerely hope Warmoth bought about 9000 cords of the stuff 8' deep so they don't run out in any reasonable future.

No need to worry.  :icon_thumright:

jmcecil said:
Cagey said:
I just saw this one from Mookyshoots down in the finished guitars section. Roasted Maple against a Fender Jade Green body. Looks nice.

IMG_3165.JPG

(more pics at the link above)
This picture is the one that caught my attention and based on this I scoped a Sonic Blue body myself ... I'm totally with the OP.  Roasted looks incredible.

First, I really appreciate everyone liking my build. It's really helped with my confidence. Thanks much for that.

Funny thing is that my current project is based around one of the Classic Player Strat bodies in that very light sonic blue of theirs. Roasted flame maple neck again this time with a HSH pickup config. Really, it's just going to be a hard rocking variation of the green one. The contrast between the body and neck should be really sweet. I'll post picks once I have it done. Hoping that's later this month.

Back