Roasted Maple neck with Rosewood fingerboard Tru-oil?

bucksnort101

I've been collecting what I need to build a Warmoth Tele over the last several months and am about to get started putting things together.  I will start with the neck, but have a question before finishing.
Basically bought a roasted maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard that I plan to put a Tru-oil finish on.

I figured I would tape off the top face of the fretboard to prevent any tru-oil from getting on the fingerboard, but am wondering if I should also tape off the edges of the fingerboard as well?  Would it make any difference whether I get Tru-oil on the edges or not?

Taping the on the top vs. sides is pretty much down to preference.

Personally I would not put any kind of finish on a roasted maple neck, I'd just burnish/polish it with high grit sandpaper.

The Warmoth web site, under roasted maple, states that a finish is NOT required.

So back to the OP: Why do you want to finish the back?

ejm said:
The Warmoth web site, under roasted maple, states that a finish is NOT required.

So back to the OP: Why do you want to finish the back?

A finish will help with the neck staying clean.

Without a finish a neck is easier to play, at least when it's hot and humid, for me.  I found that unfinished wenge, goncalo alves and rosewood do not get as sticky, as anything with a finish, though I do have a mahogany satin neck that has the absolutely thinnest finish, that does OK in warm weather.

Never played roasted maple, so can't say for certain.  ... it could be just the amount of summer hand sweat I produce.  YMMV.

Back