roasted ash redo

ragamuffin said:
Hmm, I know t's not the look you were going for, but I kind of dig it  :dontknow:
I like it too! To get more color in the grain you gotta wire brush the shizzle out of it so it has somewhere to go.

okay,  last pics of the day,  mockup with pickguard and 2. mockup with pickguard and photoshop

Attachments

• 20220627_195007t.jpg
    20220627_195007t.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220627_194946t1.jpg
    20220627_194946t1.jpg
    583.8 KB · Views: 39
How are you feeling about the finish? What is your current plan? Maybe think on it for a bit?

Let us know if you feel like it!

well for starters i always love love love to say im ignorant,  dont follow no recipes,  write down what all i did wrong so the next guy wont be so damn, whats the word im lookin for,  ummm,  so anyways,  secondly,

i sprayed lightly the white over the blue and kinda liked it but wasnt quite blue enough so i took my dyes,  and mixed them together,  didnt want to make the mess with grain filler again,  so i mixed them with rubbing alcohol,  making a real thin wash,  then after that dried i hit it again with the spray can,  this is where i am at now and am waiting on the behkol from stewmac to disolve the shellac,  pics include dyes, shellac brick, and current mockup.

when the behkol does get here ,  i am thinking of using some of the dye in the shellac,  i figure white would turn yellow over time and blue will fade green.

Attachments

• 20220628_100324u.jpg
    20220628_100324u.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220628_091535u1.jpg
    20220628_091535u1.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220628_101700d.jpg
    20220628_101700d.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 44
I think that sounds like a good plan. You can add that dye to shellac or even polyurethane to tint it. Before going straight onto the guitar body, you might try a few very small test samples maybe on the wood you are using to hold the body up with. Not the same wood but it will still give you a god idea of how it will look. Or try a test in the trem cavity first. Good for you for being intrepid enough to give refinishing a try!! :icon_thumright: :headbang:

Maybe start with just adding blue to the shellac after it is liquid again.

the hardest part of the finish is now thru,  and thats the waiting on delivery...  finally got my behkol and am soaking my brick of shellac ... may or may not be futile,  i swear i have dddtt and shit,  now i am finally able to hurry up and start waiting on shellac to melt,  i have serious problems with patients

I hear you. We all wanna see the results quick. If you just try to slow the process down and not rush it, sometimes it can yield better results and be helpful

yeah,  as i stated i have double d anxiety and instead of waiting till morning,  i already applied the first 2 thin coats and my worst fears were not realized,  i did not wipe off the finish ... thank god for good accidents ,  now as long as i dont mess up the shellac job ... no pictures to post :(

ok now then,  the shellac miraculously dissolved and its going on fast and drying really quickly,  i had to take pics and type a little to distract myself from applying coats too quickly,  i added the dye to my shellac and well,  the pictures kind of tell the story dont it?

also to let you know i have the dan earlwin finishing book and in my readings it doesnt really say how long to let shellac dry / cure and 2.  it talks about wash coat before spraying lacquer but does not mention spraying lacquer after or intermittently with the shellac.  the reason for spraying intermittently is to control the balance of blue and white/

and as you can expect, i already tried it,  the nitro goes over the shellac alright,  but then the subsequent wipe with colored shellac turns it right back to blue,  so therefore i think ,  yes it works but final shellacin should be without dye.

Attachments

• 20220701_081256.jpg
    20220701_081256.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 20220701_081219.jpg
    20220701_081219.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
I am digging it! If you have Dan's book, you have all the answers you need! Good job!

Well what color are you hoping to end up with? White or blue? I also think you out to wait 1-2 hrs between coats to let it off gas a bit. Maybe SLOW DOWN?  :icon_scratch: :icon_thumright:

i got it back togethers ,  i suppose it calls for a custom neck plate or at least more work thereon,  in short i failed at my attempt to do a reverse dog hair but ended up with a swimin pool blue , green depending on the alge levels or in this case the yellowing of the shellac.

Attachments

• 20220701_161149.jpg
    20220701_161149.jpg
    655.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220701_161218.jpg
    20220701_161218.jpg
    683 KB · Views: 37
Looks cool! That was the fastest refinish I ever saw!! Don't forget your strap buttons! :party07:

Spud said:
Looks cool! That was the fastest refinish I ever saw!! Don't forget your strap buttons! :party07:

the great sprint,  1st to finish,  but seriously,  i saved probably 1500 us dollar bills ,  i already had all the parts,  only cost was $150 in paint supplies, of which i only needed 100,  dont know what i will do next week  :icon_scratch:

teleme01 said:
Spud said:

the great sprint,  1st to finish,  but seriously,  i saved probably 1500 us dollar bills ,  i already had all the parts,  only cost was $150 in paint supplies, of which i only needed 100,  dont know what i will do next week  :icon_scratch:

Hey, how bout play the thing and enjoy! The pickups are awesome looking.

[/quote]
Hey, how bout play the thing and enjoy! The pickups are awesome looking.
[/quote]

thepickups are fralin split blade blues,  i hardly ever play plugged in but i did after putting it back together to make sure i had soldered everything right ( output jack and bridge ground ) because i was worried i had the jack wired backwards,  no hum;  clear and articulate,then the wife woke up and i turned off the amp, 

i had left over white rattle can and blue laced shellac so i made my warmoth strat a distant cousin (stewmac 335),  and although i failed at my attempt to achieve a reverse doghair,  i did discover a new to me finishing technique ,  and if anyone cares,  the recipe is dyed shellac over nitro base coat,  the only thing simpler would be no basecoat.

Attachments

• 20220710_074626.jpg
    20220710_074626.jpg
    587.9 KB · Views: 44
You got the refinishing fever! And soon you will be getting the dental floss out to pull parts through that hollow body for reassembly!

leftover blue shellac over walnut,  everybody gets a facelift even if they are new, no time for the dental floss,  shellacin everything

Attachments

• 20220713_113400.jpg
    20220713_113400.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 32
I like that one the best! :icon_thumright: Also, if you could go ahead and send me the Fralin single coils, I can verify whether they are good enough for you at no charge.

Back