Rio Grande BBQ

simple

Staff member
This is my favorite pickup for the bridge position. It sounds big and full in every guitar I put them in and every guitar still sound individual. I get the impression that I get a true representation of how the woods sound for a rock type of scenario and it lets my preamps sound the way they should without over-coloring the tone before it gets there.

I love everything about Rio Grande's except the price. Swapped a big bottom set out of a Fender MiM into a Mighty Might swamp ash body. They were nice in the Fender but in the heavy swamp ash body they really came to life.
Rio Grande vintage tall boys will be in my next W dream guitar. Warmouth quality SSS body, birdseye maple neck, Rio Grande tall boys... mmm. Now if I can decide on a color.  :guitarplayer2:

Gregg, I've got a couple of questions about those.  I've always been a DiMarzio fan, but am always open to other ideas.  One is, how do they sound in a mahogany guitar?  The other question is how do they sound in high gain applications, like a metal sort of gain?

I've heard raves about their pups in general on this board, so I've got a second strat project in the works and ordered their tallboy for the neck, RWRP dirty harry jr. for the mid, and a muy grande for the bride.

DocNrock said:
Gregg, I've got a couple of questions about those.  I've always been a DiMarzio fan, but am always open to other ideas.  One is, how do they sound in a mahogany guitar?  The other question is how do they sound in high gain applications, like a metal sort of gain?

I've heard raves about their pups in general on this board, so I've got a second strat project in the works and ordered their tallboy for the neck, RWRP dirty harry jr. for the mid, and a muy grande for the bride.
Most of my guitars are Mahogany with BBQs playing through a Marshall with lots of tube gain. They sound different in each guitar but each guitar sounds great. I think the BBQ really lets your guitar's other tone influences come through instead of taking over the guitar's tone all by itself like some other pickups do, if you know what I mean. Still my favorite humbucker. I haven't had anyone disappointed after I recommended a BBQ to them.

I like Rio Grande single coils too when I've played on them but I'm much of a single coil user.  I can tell you that we do get very good reviews from customers who do use them.

Back