Reversed Headstocks

The only headstock shapes I don't really get are 4+2 designs (EBMM, for instance) and Wolfgang headstocks. They just seem, I dunno, truncated and strange to me. But we've already established that everything in this thread is based purely on taste, so my opinions are basically moot anyway.  :laughing7:

tubby.twins said:
For a really wacky reverse headstock, check this auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170432337370

That is funky, but not really a reverse. I believe that's the original design from Stauffer that Martin copied...eventually warping into the Bigsby Merle Travis headstock, and most famously the Strat. In other words it's not reverse, it's just ugly! HAHAHHAHA :hello2:

ErogenousJones said:
The only headstock shapes I don't really get are 4+2 designs (EBMM, for instance) and Wolfgang headstocks. They just seem, I dunno, truncated and strange to me. But we've already established that everything in this thread is based purely on taste, so my opinions are basically moot anyway.  :laughing7:
Lol. And I happen to like it. :)
My MM bass = 3+1 and I think it looks great.

jay4321 said:
Reverse headstocks look really '80s and very outdated to me, and not in a "classic" sort of way. It's probably because I associate them with those bright pointy guitars, and the people who played them who looked ridiculous wearning makeup and spandex. For the most part they made some terrible, terrible music. Even those guitars I did like somewhat seemed to look better with normal headstocks. Just my opinion... those were dark times. Not ready for the revival just yet.
where I work out they have whichever XM radio station is "HARD ROCK" or whatever

It'll play some Zeppelin, some AC / DC and then straight into old Motley Crue, like it bears any relation whatsoever to the other two ???

I didn't mean this as a flame war post and perhaps it should have been a poll.  I was just feeling like the only person in the world that thought they looked dumb/dated/Hendrix-ripoffs.

I'm avoiding them.  Just wanted to know if I was the only one.  I didn't want to offend anybody.  I LOVE this Web site/Board!!!!

Finally going to build my first Warmoth in my 40th year!

~Ty

GearBoxTy said:
I didn't mean this as a flame war post and perhaps it should have been a poll.  I was just feeling like the only person in the world that thought they looked dumb/dated/Hendrix-ripoffs.

I'm avoiding them.  Just wanted to know if I was the only one.  I didn't want to offend anybody.  I LOVE this Web site/Board!!!!

Finally going to build my first Warmoth in my 40th year!

~Ty
With a reverse headstock, right.... :icon_biggrin:

LOL!

NO!  With a traditional Strat, Tele, or Jackson headstock...right handed.  I prefer inline as opposed to 3x3, 4x2, 5x1, 1x5, 2x4, whatever...

GearBoxTy said:
LOL!

NO!  With a traditional Strat, Tele, or Jackson headstock...right handed.  I prefer inline as opposed to 3x3, 4x2, 5x1, 1x5, 2x4, whatever...
:icon_thumright:

GearBoxTy said:
I was just feeling like the only person in the world that thought they looked dumb/dated/Hendrix-ripoffs.

I never did understand people that did reverse headstocks to look like Hendrix?

Hendrix played a right handed guitar backwards. The headstock was still "normal" in proportion to the body.

Reverse Strats look weird to me. That said I think reverse headstocks look great on a lot of guitars. It depends. For instance I think DangerousR6's Tele is smoking hot looking. Sometimes they look right on a V and sometimes they don't. I don't think many people are thinking Hendrix nowdays when they consider a reverse head stock or were they even 30 years ago.

If everything looked the same or if we could only get one persons version of what looks right, that would suck. Like only vanilla ice cream.

line6man said:
GearBoxTy said:
I was just feeling like the only person in the world that thought they looked dumb/dated/Hendrix-ripoffs.

I never did understand people that did reverse headstocks to look like Hendrix?

Hendrix played a right handed guitar backwards. The headstock was still "normal" in proportion to the body.
I think I said that already....

DangerousR6 said:
Unwound G said:
According to some, string pull is better with reverse headstocks since the high E is closer to the nut which makes string tension more bendable  The rest are all trying to look like Hendrix........ :laughing7:
Jimi's guitar didn't have a rev headstock, he was using a right handed guitar.... :icon_biggrin:

FlyingV said:
Reverse Strats look weird to me. That said I think reverse headstocks look great on a lot of guitars. It depends. For instance I think DangerousR6's Tele is smoking hot looking. Sometimes they look right on a V and sometimes they don't. I don't think many people are thinking Hendrix nowdays when they consider a reverse head stock or were they even 30 years ago.

If everything looked the same or if we could only get one persons version of what looks right, that would suck. Like only vanilla ice cream.
I agree, it really depends on the guitar. Not all are suited for a rev., although I usually see like to try different things that are beyond the norm. So most of the time I like to see what different guitars look like with the rev headstock, or even a Floyd, which is what I'm mostly noted for.... :icon_biggrin:

i personally can't stand reverse headstocks. i think they look fine, but they feel all wrong when trying to tune up. i'm just not used to turning all 6 tuners in that direction. i'm fine with the regular old 6-in-line or 3-and-3. but i cannot figure out the 6-on-the-wrong-side to save myself  :dontknow:

Back