Replace 5-way blade with a slider switch?

fuzzyoctaves

The old school strat style blade switches stick up so high because of the design. I hit them so much that I have dremeled down the blade and put a little piece of rubber on the tip. It is still too high. It seems to me that a slider switch design would work very well. Problem is: I can't find any 5 way slider switches that are still made. Does anyone know where I could find one?

Were 5 way slider switches ever made?

Slider switches for individual pickups might be an option such as on the old Schecters or perhaps you could come up with a way to lower the 5 way switch in a recess or bracket below the pickguard. Or work on trying not to hit it. I have been playing Strats for about 45 years and I can't see how you hit one accidentally.

stratamania said:
Were 5 way slider switches ever made?

Not made specifically for guitars, but I've found some online that aren't currently available: https://www.globalspec.com/learnmore/electrical_electronic_components/switches/slide_switches

Because the switch is a blade that moves in an arc, you can't recess it without routing out the slot. I'm trying not to alter that much due to being rear routed. My quest for a slider switch is all about eliminating the arc that requires the blade to be up so high. When I built my warmouth soloist, I went with a 5way rotating switch like my PRS Ce24 had, but this is a different guitar.

"Don't hit the switch" is an oft heard response to the people who complain of the issue. Obviously, lots of people don't have the problem or this design choice would have changed over the 50+ years that it has been around, but there are a significant # of players who do have the problem. As for me - I don't get it. When I am in the middle or neck pickup, I am often strumming. Unless I curl up the other 3 fingers of my picking hand, I'll easily hit the switch. Curling my fingers feels unnatural and tight. That said, I am hardly the most technically proficient player.

Finding a 5 position slide switch is pretty difficult.  I could only find a 4 position version:

https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/CW-Industries/G-141S-3011?qs=GMJVKvQynaBA71ZAi8xiaw%3D%3D

One option is to have individual on/off slide switches for each pickup, kinda like Uncle Brian's 'Red Special'.  In addition to having the switches low and out of the way, you get two more pickup combinations that are not possible with the blade switch (bridge/neck, and bridge/middle/neck).

Just a thought...

I don’t know if you play live, but sliders are always my last choice.
I’d work on technique before opting for sliders.

I have a guitar I love except for the 6 sliders. Someday I’ll work up a non intrusive solution for the BMG. 

Back