Removing ferrules

RobSm

Hi.

I was about to do a stringup on a string through W.I.P. and I realised I don't know how to safely & efficiently remove the ferrules afterwards.

What's the best way to remove ferrules?

TIA,
Rob.

The guitar-to-be is unfinished and I want to check intonation and locate the pickup positions.

I thought about leaving them in, but that would be a pain when it came to sanding and finishing.

RobSm said:
The guitar-to-be is unfinished and I want to check intonation and locate the pickup positions.

I thought about leaving them in, but that would be a pain when it came to sanding and finishing.

:icon_scratch: What sort of body is it? There aren't any pickup routes?

I wonder if they can be pushed out from the other side once you've removed the bridge with something like an ice pick.

Brian

I was thinking a metal rod like you can get at hardware stores, but an ice pick would be easier to handle.  On the other hand, someone might murder you with it.

...she's not, but I enjoy watching her cross her legs...

It's a DIY body (Warmoth neck B'eye & ebony) like a tele thinline...

Yeah I thought of tapping them out from the 'top' bur I figured someone would have an easy technique..

well I'll practise on scrap.... :icon_smile:

Don't bother fitting ferrules. Anchor the strings through a piece of plate drilled for six ball ends. There's a hardtail back plate out there somewhere. :dontknow:

Back