Removing a Warmoth factory finish

Pelagaard

Just how difficult would it be?  There's a body in the showcase that's almost too good to pass up, but the finish wrong for my tastes.

If you don't see what you like in the Showcase, like what you see in the Showcase.

It's either that or you pay the 'Vanity Tax'.

They're very tough finishes. You can get 'em off, but it may be more work than you want to do. You'll need to get a respirator, safety glasses or a face shield and some nitrile gloves. Then get some methylene chloride-based paint stripper, a brush, a scraper and about 1,284 sheets of sandpaper.

Warmoth finishes start at around $200. Seems hard to believe that even with the premium you'd pay for a custom build that it would cost more than something already in the Showcase.

This is the body in question.  Even if the wood underneath the black is only "average" by Warmoth standards, I'd like to have it visible.

Hmm. I see what you mean about the price. Seems an awful shame to strip one of their finishes off, though. Especially when it's not something too unusual to live with. Black is nice. Put some chrome hardware on there with a Maple neck. Or, do the blacker-than-black thing, with black hardware, pickups, black finish on the neck, Ebony 'board, no inlays. Mmmm... that'd be a sexy thing.

How the hell...? I was about to insert a joke about gloss black over korina.... :toothy12:

Good deal. It will be a challenge, you could always use a blowtorch.

If it was Alder, or Swamp Ash, or even Mahogany I'd leave black and call it good.  But a BK top on walnut deserves to be seen.

Altar said:
How the hell...? I was about to insert a joke about gloss black over korina.... :toothy12:

Stranger things have happened. My blue ice Tele is a chambered black Korina body...

IMG_2485_Sm.JPG

Thanks. Me, too. Gonna be a while before it gets played, though. Neck I want is pricey, and I just bought one for the L5S so I'm tight.

Well the price is right,  :icon_scratch:Hard to understand how it hit the spray room with
those woods must be some black sheep grains, better get more details on that methylene
chloride stuff, I can't get it in my neck of the woods.
Would it be Ok with the glue on the top to body edge?
I guess there's more than one now wondering whats under that Black.
Should sound good with those Timbers.

leo12. said:
...better get more details on that methylene chloride stuff, I can't get it in my neck of the woods. Would it be Ok with the glue on the top to body edge?

I used it last year to strip a Warmoth body that was made with a Curly Maple top and a Mahogany carcass. Didn't touch the glue joint.

BK is prettier, but occasionally does get covered up. But walnut? That's even stranger than covering up BK. Maybe because it's not really as famous as a tonewood - so you don't use it unless you want the look.  I can only figure it either had a gouge patched and covered, or it had a weird birthmark where the grain pattern spelled out something offensive.

Could be. The body I mentioned above has some bizarre grain in the Mahogany that you wouldn't want to expose. Nothing offensive, just not attractive at all.

I would expect that it was either a canceled order and they refunded a bit ($199{?} :laughing3: :laughing7: :toothy12:) or that it was some really ugly black korina. I'm not sure I'd call ordering what you want a "vanity tax." If you're just shopping for cute pieces of wall candy, maybe, but many people here buy Warmoth parts for specific musical reasons, we do know how to do a lot of things ourselves, and we like to do that instead of paying extra - there seems to be a steady progression among the diehards from simple (screw pretty stuff together) to unbearably complex - I wouldn't be surprised if I meet Cagey in a couple of years somewhere in the Brazilian rainforest, totin' chainsaws and lookin' sneaky...

"Oh Jeeves - there's a blank spot on the wall! Do check that Warmoth place, the showcase whatever.... maybe something purple... and sparkly! Do check for sparkles....."

In a couple years? That's my regular Tuesday night.

Tiyanak.png

Gimme that Rosewood, ya little tree-hugger!

Cagey said:
Altar said:

Stranger things have happened. My blue ice Tele is a chambered black Korina body...

IMG_2485_Sm.JPG

Yep, the white one in my sig is Alpine white over a BK chambered body and top.
MULLY

mullyman said:
Cagey said:

Yep, the white one in my sig is Alpine white over a BK chambered body and top.
MULLY
Me too  :icon_biggrin:  Alpine White over chambered BK with a mahogany ply top ... http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=19269.0

Back