Refinished ash VIP with Odie's Dark Oil

wormbot

Last week I decided to do a refinish of my swamp ash VIP. I was growing tired of the tung oil finish I put previously.

It was a nice finish but I like experimenting with new techniques and finishes and I was thinking about Odie's oil for quite a while now .

So I stripped everything from the guitar, sanded back to bare wood everywhere.

I got the grits up to 1000 and applied a single coat of the oil on the back and sides, and two coats on the top. After 45 minutes of letting it sit on the surface, I buffed everything off with a cotton towel.

I was able to put the guitar together again after a few hours.

So far I really like the finish, it looks very slick with a slight waxy feel.

The neck is wengé and it feels way faster than with the previous tung oil finish I had on it.

It should darken a bit with age. I'll post back in a year to compare.

Last week I decided to do a refinish of my swamp ash VIP. I was growing tired of the tung oil finish I put previously.

It was a nice finish but I like experimenting with new techniques and finishes and I was thinking about Odie's oil for quite a while now .

I got the grits up to 1000 and applied a single coat of the oil on the back and sides, and two coats on the top. After 45 minutes of letting it sit on the surface, I buffed everything off with a cotton towel.

The neck is wengé and it feels way faster than with the previous tung oil finish I had on it.

It looks great! Observation, is the bridge pickup ring attached actually square? It might be the pic but it could be a tad askew.......

It looks great! Observation, is the bridge pickup ring attached actually square? It might be the pic but it could be a tad askew.......
Thanks @Spud ! You're right, it's a bit skewed. One of my errors while building the guitar. I don't mind though!

It’s a nice change. I did an odie’s oil dark finish on a 7/8 ash body with maple neck and a walnut bass with a maple neck and ebony board. Very simple to apply. I could have done better. The trick is to really sand it to perfection before applying instead of trying to dial it in after with steel or or something. The finishes I got are less than matte. The nice thing about it is it’s non toxic and doesn’t smell too bad. Really good for maple necks I’ll tell ya. I burnished my neck recently and didn’t add any extra oil. Fastest neck I ever felt.

Back