Red Grain Filler on Mahogany

stomp

I'm trying to decide whether I should go red or natural, but I can't seem to find pictures of the red filler. Has anyone on here done it and have pictures I can see? Thanks!

If you're finishing the guitar to a mahogany red color, like an SG, *I think* what *they* generally use is black grain filler. I'd get a second opinion on that, but as far as I know that's what's generally done to get that type of look.

I'm finding other people saying Gibson uses Walnut brown. Find Tonar on these boards, I'm sure he'd know.

Unless of course you're shooting for a different look.

There is a "mahogany" grain filler available, I think from woodcraft.. unfortunately the color is really 'pepto bismol'

Grain_Filler_Photo.jpg

Finish_Photos_015_Cropped_1000.jpg

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/83541-request-cherry-red-pore-filler-tutorial.html#post1636516

Again; if you're trying to do a Gibson type dark red finish; black filler would be the norm, per the pics above; here's a link to a step by step of applying that finish to a Tele Thinline.

If you're trying to do something completely different, you need to give us more info, examples:

- If you are going to paint the body any kind of opaque red color, it doesn't matter what you use for filler.
- If you want like a bright red filler and some other coloration like a "Voodoo" finish, please specify

Back