Red dye finish

Yamtx

How does Warmoth do this finish?  I've attempted it on some scrap pieces of flame maple by applying the black dye, sanding back then going over with the red... but it leaves the black just a darker red. Sanding back the red leaves bare (undyed) spots...

I believe they have used black grain filler, but wait untill CB, Tonar, Jack the Hack and other guys come here, they probably know it!

I dunno about grain filler on maple.  It is a tight closed grain, I believe.  The site implies that they just dye it red and the darker areas of the figure turn, well, darker red.  The level of black that they get in a colored finish is pretty incredible.  For something like the bengal burst, they dye with black or brown, sand back and dye again with amber.  Then during the finishing process they add a burst around the edges.  How much of either of the dyes they use in the process is something for debate.  Also how strong the dyes are when they dye any of the colors is another secret we probably will not get out of the Warmoth Finishing dept.  I have some more dyes on order and some test pieces to try when ever I get everything.  One last thing, the wood before it is finished will not appear the same, obviously.  They use the wet look on the site for pictures for a reason.
Patrick

Colored grain filler will not penetrate flame/quilt maple much at all, virtually all the "color" will sand back. I don't know the exact process Warmoth uses, but it sounds like from your description you're not getting the wood sufficiently "black" if applying the red dye on top turns the black red.

You probably need to use a pre-dye/stain treatment; and do multiple black dye applications/sand backs. What kind of dye(s) in what concentration are you using? Post that and there'll probably be some more suggestions from the board.

Another tack you might take is to get the black portions of the flame/quilt maple the correctly dark shade of black you want, then shoot the body with sanding sealer and apply the red by shooting toner on top of that, followed by gloss nitro

I see the devil in that grain... :eek: :party07:

...either that or Frank from Donnie Darko... :laughing7:

Back