Recent Work

alterbridgefan

Pulled some samples from an old Jo Stafford tune for a little hip hop thing I'm working on for some friends.

Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/prestonrice/easysmoothwav

Hey thanks!

Using Reaper as my DAW. Every instrument here is generated by a VST... I used LazySnake rhodes emulation for the rhodes and the bass. Drums are Superior Drummer 2. May lay down some guitar over it... Undecided.

I tried something new on this track. The drums are live samples and the velocities are(now) simulating a real drummer, but I added loads of digital noise to both the rhodes and the kick to get a nice sort of "bad digital" feel. So my goal really was to keep it real and organic while still giving it an electronic vibe.

It works man.  Yeah, you really have to vary velocities to get a realistic sound.  When I first started out, my drums wee even worse sounding because all of the hits were identical!

Part of what I love about superior is that for every bit of the kit, there are hundreds of samples. It really is possible to get a recording that sounds as good, if not better than a real drum track. What's lost is the uniqueness - But nothing stopping one from adding their own samples or reamping for a different room sound, etc.

Still, as an engineer, it's really nice to be able to mic up a kit - There are so many fun techniques and such that it's really just not as fun to use sampled drums.

But, sampled drums have many huge, huge benefits.

Back