Rebuild Player Strat

victor

I just built a Jazzmaster with Fralin noisless pickups and a 1 7/8ths neck and I love it but I started with a strat and ordered the wide neck and put it on the strat and decided I wanted a jazzmaster so I ordered the body from Warmoth and built it. Great guitar, a little heavy but sounds awesome. It had noise and I put shielding tape in and corrected that. So now the strat. I'm putting a wide neck on it and one neck humbucker. I play fingerstyle exclusively and always use the neck pickup only so why waste money on the bridge pickup? So I've been having some barre chord problems with the thin neck and bigger frets so I ordered the fat neck and the vintage small frets and the Seth Lover neck humbucker. I guess I'll use 500k pots and a .047 mfd cap on the tone control. I want a nice warm clean sound and an hoping this will do it. Any suggestions? Greenhorn guitar builder

Sounds like a winning combo. .047uf cap will get muddy quicker as you spin than a .022uf - for some folks this means a .022uf cap is a wider, more usable range. I prefer the quicker falloff and actually tend towards .1uf tone caps with bright pickups.

The Seth Lover is a fantastic pickup. PAF construction, A2 mag, low/medium DCR, good for what I think you’re after. I mean, it’s a PAF in the neck. It’s going to sound great. If you want something a little warmer/fatter but otherwise very similar, I really like the Gibson ‘57 classics.

You know, I actually started out on the Jazzmaster with 250k pots and a .022 and didn't like the sound (too bright for me) so I went to a .047 and really didn't like that so I left the tone pot alone and put in a 500k volume pot and changed the cap back to a .022 and left the tone pot at 250k and that's where I left everything and like it. So I might end up on the strat going to the .022 if I don't like the .047 I'll just have to experiment a little. My last guitar (the Jazzmaster) was my 1st build and someone told me to make sure I go with Fralin pickups because they are the best so I contacted Fralin and let them know what I was looking for, a warm clean sounding pickup and they suggested the noisless single coil pickup 5% overwound would make it a little darker so I went with a pair of them and they do sound great but I think the Seth Lover hb are more of what I'm looking for (at least I hope so)! Or maybe the Gibson 57' classics. I guess I could order a Gibson neck pu and try them both and the one I like the most leave in the strat and put the other in the neck of the Jazzmaster. 😬

Back