RC Car Drifting

Death by Uberschall said:
RC car drifting. Makes you forget they are not full size. Very good driving skills.

[youtube=425,350]wzTZKKrI1kQ[/youtube]

:eek:

i have the car for that but they use special tires. if there was a track locally that had a drifting class id try it but now i really want to put a rally suspension set and off road tires on it, the cars aren't that fun if you cant go through the grass.

Most of my teens were spent around RC cars. I had a little 2wd monster truck that I putzed with around home that I bought secondhand off of one of my brother's buddies. I think it was a Traxxas, but I can't remember. I played with it, rebuilt it and made money off of it, so at the end of the day I showed black ink. My brother, on the other hand, was an absolute nut over these things. He had an Associated RC10T2 stadium truck that was an absolute monster. I don't remember how much much scratch he put into it, but I remember taking him all over northeast Wisconsin for races. I remember every day I had to run him and his buddies around because that was the day that my dad would take my '78 Malibu to work and leave me his Suburban.

His interest kind of petered out of it when he and all of his buddies started getting real cars. At that point, all of his money went into his '81 El Camino. He still has all of his stuff, but I don't think much of it will see the light of day again.

little RC gem: XMODS (from Radioshack) are relatively cheap and very well-designed, IMO. NOt for off-roading, but on a somewhat smooth surface, they are lots of fun! even a small piece of open floor inside can be great fun. They really hold up very well, and Radioshack (as well as AtomicMods) sell plenty of cool upgrade kits, both inexpensive and very expensive.

Graffiti62 said:
Most of my teens were spent around RC cars. I had a little 2wd monster truck that I putzed with around home that I bought secondhand off of one of my brother's buddies. I think it was a Traxxas, but I can't remember. I played with it, rebuilt it and made money off of it, so at the end of the day I showed black ink. My brother, on the other hand, was an absolute nut over these things. He had an Associated RC10T2 stadium truck that was an absolute monster. I don't remember how much much scratch he put into it, but I remember taking him all over northeast Wisconsin for races. I remember every day I had to run him and his buddies around because that was the day that my dad would take my '78 Malibu to work and leave me his Suburban.

His interest kind of petered out of it when he and all of his buddies started getting real cars. At that point, all of his money went into his '81 El Camino. He still has all of his stuff, but I don't think much of it will see the light of day again.

thats pretty typical untill you get old and need to pass the time, i know many guys get back into it at an older age.
those drifting cars are touring cars and the tech in the racing models is unreal. i have an older one and it is all wheel drive and has suspension that would make a Ferrari jealous. anti roll bars, dual A arm front and rear, coil over shocks. ive seen carbon fiber and titanium parts. these cars aren't cheap and if you like to build them it takes hours to assemble.  i need a part to the rear differential and i may just make it on the lathe, i need a good piece of aluminum to start with. the stock part one was plastic.

Drifting is hella cool to watch.  Those guys have insane control over those cars...some of them use a drift unit to help with traction, but even then, it takes skill to do it.  I'm more of a monster truck guy myself right now...running an old .15 T-Maxx, and last year stepped up to a Traxxas Revo...damned fun all around. 

IMG_3729.jpg

Back