raw wenge

I'm not sure if these oils are sold in Brazil, I'll have to try asking to some paint guys...
Well, will try use it raw, but send it to very thin sand paper...

The shape will be literally made by hand, it's not accurate but I think that when you shape the neck with the sand paper direct in your hand you get exactly the feel you'd like on the neck.... I made it on that Imbuya Strat I built and at the most, if it get wrong, it's mine, so no big problems :laughing7:

i know what you mean - i shape every neck by hand

even when i buy a pre-made neck for the convienience i still end up doing lots of minor tweaks to get it just where i think it should be

tom anderson necks are machine made, but based on scans of their best hand carved necks.

i do try and replicate neck shapes occasionaly -but it is impossible to do accuratly by hand - luckily the response i normally get is thatit is better than the neck i was copying

having said that, i was playing on a 62 strat yesterday and the neck was naturally worn into one of the best C shapes i have ever come across.  i didnt even bother taking measurements because i knew i would never get it spot on like that.  i guess the best i can hope is to get close and play it into something like that.  It was almost as good as the 57 i got to play last year - that was easily the best V neck shape i ever played and i did take measurements because i always hated v necks before

:D great! I would measure that 62, just for information... perhaps you can't do it exactly, but you can get something as nice as... etc... Not trying to copying, what wouldn't happen, but trying to make something alike in feel

I have a raw wenge neck, and I'll agree with everyone else that it's silky smooth. Haven't got to actually use it yet, but it still feels like buttah...... :headbang1:

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
If there's anything this forum has taught me, it's that to finish Wenge is a sin.  However, can it be painted?  As in just the headstock?
I don't see why not, but it would need extensive grain filling, almost to the point of bondo, if you wanted it smooth.... :icon_biggrin:

DangerousR6 said:
Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
If there's anything this forum has taught me, it's that to finish Wenge is a sin.  However, can it be painted?  As in just the headstock?
I don't see why not, but it would need extensive grain filling, almost to the point of bondo, if you wanted it smooth.... :icon_biggrin:

Bondo is about right. 

i guess i will have to disagree with the forum and say that a light coat of oil is good to keep wenge feeling good.

not tru-oil.  in my experience that doesnt suit wenge at all.  but a light coat of danish oil is gonna keep that nice feeling for longer

WezV said:
i guess i will have to disagree with the forum and say that a light coat of oil is good to keep wenge feeling good.

not tru-oil.  in my experience that doesnt suit wenge at all.  but a light coat of danish oil is gonna keep that nice feeling for longer

Hey WezV,

Does your wenge fanned fret that you have posted on your other thread have a danish oil finish or is that raw?  :dontknow:

I have been thinking about a wenge Warmoth Z body.  My concern is I see so much variation in grain on the wenge bodies.  Some are smokin' and some are just nice. 
I am guessing this is determined from the way the wood is cut.  Any suggestions about ordering for the maximum grain appearance! 
:rock-on:

bbl4ck said:
WezV said:

Hey WezV,

Does your wenge fanned fret that you have posted on your other thread have a danish oil finish or is that raw?   :dontknow:

I have been thinking about a wenge Warmoth Z body.  My concern is I see so much variation in grain on the wenge bodies.  Some are smokin' and some are just nice. 
I am guessing this is determined from the way the wood is cut.  Any suggestions about ordering for the maximum grain appearance!   
Hey Bart, they do have some "unique choice" wenge tops from time to time.......Could be an option... :dontknow:

DangerousR6 said:
bbl4ck said:
WezV said:

Hey WezV,

Does your wenge fanned fret that you have posted on your other thread have a danish oil finish or is that raw?   :dontknow:

Hey Bart, they do have some "unique choice" wenge tops from time to time.......Could be an option... :dontknow:

DangerousR6 said:
bbl4ck said:
WezV said:

Hey WezV,

Hey, Thanks Doug!
I thought that I had seen that option in the past, but looked earlier today and they had nothing.
I will keep my eyes peeled.  :glasses9:
Be Cool!

bbl4ck said:
DangerousR6 said:
bbl4ck said:
WezV said:

Hey WezV,

Hey, Thanks Doug!
I thought that I had seen that option in the past, but looked earlier today and they had nothing.
Be Cool!
Yea, was look through just a moment ago to see what's there. And it appears that there's only a few body styles available with a wenge top at the moment...

bbl4ck said:
Hey WezV,

i started with tru-oil which just wasnt working for me so i took it all off and gave it a little bit of danish oil - perfect

bbl4ck said:
DangerousR6 said:
bbl4ck said:
WezV said:

Hey WezV,

Hey, Thanks Doug!
Be Cool!
s3437A.jpg

DangerousR6 said:
bbl4ck said:
DangerousR6 said:
bbl4ck said:
WezV said:

Hey WezV,

Hey, Thanks Doug!
Be Cool!
s3437A.jpg

Hey Dangerous,
I did not notice this wenge body.  Probably because I wasn't looking among the strats.  I have always been a strat man; love em'. 
But I am trying to change my ways and open myself up to some other builds.  I have two strats in the works currently. 
That's why I was thinking maybe a wenge Warmoth Z, or maybe an LP, or something other than a strat.  :dontknow:

I am also looking for a piece of wenge with more grain pattern.  From what I am seeing there is quite a difference in the grain pattern and I figure it must depend on the direction the wood is cut. 
Quite a difference between pieces.  Compare these with the strat in the showcase.  :glasses9:

68db_12.jpg

BR351UgBWkKGrHgoH-DQEjlLlt51ZBKPtcd.jpg

DSCN0623.jpg

Shoot me a message if you come across something other than a strat!

Be cool &  :rock-on:

I'll keep an eye out Bart, I just posted that one cause it's really the only one I've ever seen in the showcase. And you're right, the wenge tops that are usually out there are pretty blan, little or no character. it seems that the necks tend to take advantage of wenge's characteristics better than just a flat piece. Or it may just be that the smaller pieces used for the necks tend to have better grain patterns in them... :dontknow:

it does vary a lot... but whatever grain it does have will always be enhanced once you start carving it

WezV said:
it does vary a lot... but whatever grain it does have will always be enhanced once you start carving it
That's pretty much what I mean.  The way the wood is cut, can make it a show piece or a dud.. Ziricote is the same way, I've seen large pieces of it that just weren't appealing at all. But  other smaller pieces that were cut differently were just stunning. So it's really a matter of the grain pattern, and being able to decide how to cut it to take advantage of it's beauty...

Back