Raw VS satin VS glossy

Give Larrivee a close look before you spring for a Taylor - they're not as easy to find but they are fantastic acoustics, even the lower end 03 series. I have an OM-09 that I'll keep forever. Email Notable Guitars for a 'real' price list - they are cheaper than the martin / taylor competition.

tfarny said:
Give Larrivee a close look before you spring for a Taylor - they're not as easy to find but they are fantastic acoustics, even the lower end 03 series. I have an OM-09 that I'll keep forever. Email Notable Guitars for a 'real' price list - they are cheaper than the martin / taylor competition.

+1, they make incredible guitars. If you fingerpick, you will not go back to martin/taylor again.

nathana said:
tfarny said:

+1, they make incredible guitars. If you fingerpick, you will not go back to martin/taylor again.

+2.  Larrivee makes some very nice guitars

nathana said:
tfarny said:

... unless you don't want to spend $4000.  Larivee makes Taylor look cheap.  Their lowest priced guitar is over $1500. 

I played them at NAMM, which is an unfortunate place to play them since it's really loud there and you can't really hear an acoustic guitar that well when you're trying it out.  I couldn't really tell you if I prefer the sound, but I still prefer the feel of a Taylor.  The Larivee stuff had far and away the prettiest looking acoustics there though. 

You've got it exactly backwards, Hannaugh. I paid $1100 for mine, lightly used. That's one of the pretty models with abalone rosette and double maple binding, lists for 3k. The retail quote sI got from some online sellers were about half of Larrivee's list prices. The absence of laminate-back models with low end hardware makes them seem more expensive in general.I would only get a Taylor if I just had to have that super bright, nasally tone.

Man, you've got some awesome guitar hook ups then, cause every time I've seen them it's like "That will be 3k please."  Of course, I almost never see them in stores though.  They're pretty scarce around here from what I can tell.

I do love my Taylors though.  I like a little more trebel in an acoustic cause a bassy acoustic sound just seems muddy to me, especially when I'm fingerpicking the bassline with my thumb.  I think I'd have to take the Pepsi challenge in a quiet room to see if I like Larivee better. 

I like Tanglewoods a lot too, but again, I'd need to take the Pepsi challenge cause it wasn't exactly quiet at NAMM where I was trying them out.

But hey, the next big guitar purchase will be a high end acoustic, so I will definitely have to try a bunch out. 

http://notableguitars.com/
Email them and ask for a price list, and hit up craigs list a couple times a week. Sounds like you just aren't into the standard mahogany dreadnought - lots of OMs have a really balanced sound.

Yeah, I've never liked dreadnoughts for a number of reasons, one being they are usually too large for me and I feel awkward playing them.  And of course, they're just a little too boomy for my tastes.  I usually go for the smaller, rounder guitars with a cutaway. 

I will definitely get a used guitar when I am ready to buy.  I just have to find a place that has carries a variety of the smaller builders so I can try them out.  Most places near me have Martin, Gibson, Taylor, and an occasional trade in something-or-other. 

I have helped a number of my lady friends buy guitars who were less experienced / knowledgeable, I always steer them away from dreadnaughts and towards smaller bodied guitars with boob cutouts.

Here is Elderly instruments Larrivee list. Most are in the 1000s range.
http://www.elderly.com/brand/LARRIVEE.html

Also check out Santa Cruz custom guitars. Wonderful instruments, if you can find them -- though you are certainly closer to the source than I am, on the east coast.

Elderly will offer you discounts if you call and ask for quotes. Go to TrueTone music and McCabe's when you get up to the westside.

nathana said:
I have helped a number of my lady friends buy guitars who were less experienced / knowledgeable, I always steer them away from dreadnaughts and towards smaller bodied guitars with boob cutouts.

Ha, yes.  Boob cutouts are essential for comfortable playing. 

DocNrock said:
hannaugh said:
Someday I want either an all ebony or all Indian Rosewood neck, unfinished.  That just sounds amazing.

Consider Wenge...its awesome!  Especially paired to a Black Korina body.

hannaugh said:
Wenge on, say... a black dyed quilt maple top SG? 

You guys mean something like this: http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=1637.0 ?  :headbang:

hannaugh said:
Someday I want either an all ebony or all Indian Rosewood neck, unfinished.  That just sounds amazing.

All indian rosewood, raw is just awesome feeling. I do prefer satin finished necks though. Gloss I like for presentation, can make flame amazing....

Back