Quilted Laminate top faux binding photos

Rock-On!!

I’m looking for a picture of a Stratocaster with a quilted or flame, maple top. I particularly need a shot along the edge where are the maple meets the body to see if it is possible to do a faux binding.
Pictures of finished products would be fine as well. I need to know how easy this is to pull off, or in my case how difficult.

If you check the builds linked in the Welcome to the Forum thread you will find a number of photos of the quilted purple to clear burst and the green mahogany strat which have natural faux binding.

And here are the links to the gallery photos of the green mahogany strat.

Both of those were finished by Warmoth but it can be done. But if you do not have a lot of experience in finishing, you may have mixed results.

Thanks for the links. I plan on doing a ton of test pieces. I certainly don’t want to give it a try on any expensive body without knowing what I need to do for the process. I’m sure I will be back here with more questions.

You would essentially need auto type fine line masking tape to mask off where the faux binding is after doing some sealer. Then do the top and back and sides, remove the tape and clear coat all of it, final fine sand, buff and polish.

You would seal all the body, including the area to be taped off with a sealer. Bearing in mind that if you are dyeing the top, this might alter.

Perhaps also ask a mod to move the thread to DIY finishing as that would be the correct sub forum.

You would seal all the body, including the area to be taped off with a sealer. Bearing in mind that if you are dyeing the top, this might alter.
I don’t think that would work with the materials I have to work with. I will be using. Aniline dye And rattle can 2K clear.

Yes, use the report thread button. That will work.

On your finish, I would suggest you use a Google search for guitar finishing schedules or on YouTube to get an idea of basic techniques. Masked faux binding is one thing but you also need to get an idea of other techniques.

Back