Quilt top with ebony neck

Björsa

Hi
Here my finished guitar. It´s my first Warmoth build, but certainly not the last. I´m very impressed with the quality of the parts.

front_1.jpg

front_3.jpg

front_matamp.jpg

front_noflash.jpg

back_1.jpg

neck_1.jpg

lutar_1.jpg

It´s been a great experience and I´m very pleased with the way it turned out.

Alder body with quilt maple top
Ebony neck, standard thin, with ebony board, 6150 frets and Graphtech nut. Sperzel tuners.
Curtis Novak pickups, threeway switch and ebony knobs. Electrosocket.
Schaller straplocks
Callaham vintage tremolo.

Well I guess that sums it up. It feels and plays very fast. The neck is very smooth and kind of invites you to play a little faster than you should.
I had some worries that it might be neck heavy, but it balances just fine. It´s a total different animal compared to the strats I usually play. The sound is very clear and precise, but very warm at the same time. And when you turn it up it growls and sings. Fantastic sustain.
It very rewarding to play. It is the humbucker guitar I always wanted but never could find.

That's quite the custom animal you've got there. Nice finish + neck combo. Dig the ebony knobs, though personally on a two-knobber., I'd have gone for the 2 tone control positions. I don't like that super-close volume knob position

nathan a said:
That's quite the custom animal you've got there. Nice finish + neck combo. Dig the ebony knobs, though personally on a two-knobber., I'd have gone for the 2 tone control positions. I don't like that super-close volume knob position
+1... in fact I'm not a big fan of the slanted line of knobs; I'd rather have them in a line parallel to the neck, like on a Tele.

I can agree that it would have looked better with the volume knob a bit further down. But here I went for function over form. I play a lot with my volume and like to curl my pinkie round the knob.
I might add that the pickup rings are ebony too!

Oh, I'm just the opposite... if the controls are too close to my hand I'll knock them out of whack when I get into it.  But that's the whole reason to build a custom guitar, right?  Looks great :)

I think your Guitar looks awesome,

Like dbw I stumble over the volume knob that close,  but that's a problem I am conciously trying to fix, and it's a 30 year bad habit

Hey Bjorsa, is that a Matamp First Lady?  I am totally smitten with those amps, and am going to try to get one of their low wattage ones soon...just curious what you think of that one, whichever model it is.  Oh and I think you have created one heck of a good looking custom axe!

The amp is a Matamp C7, predecessor to the First Lady. I like it a lot. 7 watts with one EL 34, although you can put any octagonal tube in there. In fact, I like it so much I´ve ordered a King Street Classic head with a 2x12" cab.

Nice Matamp dude and nice guitar.

I have a 6V6 Minimat and a King Street. Awesome amps.

CIMG2166.jpg

Ted. Dude.

That is a sweet Matamp rig ! ! ! !  :toothy12:
We are definitley gonna jam.  I sent you a message.  Check you personal e-mail.

Yo. Bjorsa.
That is an incredible looking guitar. I bet she punches hard, when you dig into your matamp. 

Right that's it.  Im getting a Matamp ! ! ! ! ! !  I dont want to get left behind.

Jim

Ha ha! You're in luck there's a Matamp dealer in Richmond (well, Ham to be more precise).  :laughing7:

Is it CCGX by any chance?
I've been looking forward to going there.
Dont tell me there are more decent guitar shops around. I'm supposed to be buying a new fridge to go in the new flat.  How the hell am I supposed to afford that now?

:sad1:

I just noticed some more of the details...are those wood pickup rings?  they look pretty sharp against the flame maple!

:evil4:

Hi, thanks for all the nice comments. Yes the pickup ring are indeed ebony. It looks cool but a bit dull I thought, so I´ve ordered a set of flame maple rings, and knobs and tips of maple as well. Might just be what the doctor ordered  :toothy10:

Back