Quick pickup connectors- any specific parts?

stubhead

Master Member
For a variety of reasons I want to hook up the next few guitars with pickups that can be plugged and unplugged without soldering. I found some "Adaptaplug" power leads at Radio Shack, but they seem really large for pumping a bitty magnet-generated signal through... it seem like there ought to be an automobile or electronic two-wire connector system that'll work, but I could get lost for hours, days, months searching on the internet and at Mouser Electronics....  :eek: Does any have a specific part # of some tiny connector things that work? EMG uses a proprietary system that's similar to telephone jacks, but I don't need five conductors, two or four would be adequate.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049699

These are like, big - the prongs are probably .045" to .050", heavy metal, dude.... :party07:

I like how ACME does their "solderless option" - I'd love to know where to get those kinds of pins and sockets. I have one of their strat pickguards done this way and it's a nice feature. I'm sure someday I'll get another done that way. It makes it really easy and quick to totally change the sound of the guitar.

prewire_detail_switch_600.jpg

prewire_detail_600.jpg

solderless_jack_600.jpg

solderless_claw_600.jpg

solderless_shieldground_600.jpg

Yeah, that ACME stuff is exactly what I'm looking for but they don't sell it as a separate kit and I'd need to find actual part numbers to know how to order it from Digikey or Mouser. There's all kinds of auto parts and audio connectors but they all have more metal in them than would be ideal for a passive signal.

Those pin connectors above look cool,  What I like about those is they would fit through the hole from a jack plate to controll cavity

I know exactly what your looking for and where to get them, I use them myself,    Go to your local hobby shop that sells parts and pieces for radio controll airplanes and cars

Somewhere in there you will find some small connectors

Hey - thanks for the "radio-controlled airplane" tip! After some searching for "connectors"I found these things called JST plugs:

jstplug5.jpg

Those are 22 AWG wires - should be perfect! I'll Ebay up a 10-pair bag from Hong Kong & let you know.... there might be some around here semi-locally, but I live in the boonies & I can waste a lot of time running around.

Just curious to know if the type of connector affects the signal quality.  I am going to buy a wiring harness kit and wanted to know where to go to get the HIGHEST QUALITY parts.  If I'm going to put this together I want the BEST parts and I want to do it right the first time.

UPDATE:
I just found this thread talking about parts quality that answers my question

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=3581.0

GOOD INFO!

stubhead said:
Hey - thanks for the "radio-controlled airplane" tip! After some searching for "connectors"I found these things called JST plugs:

jstplug5.jpg

Those are 22 AWG wires - should be perfect! I'll Ebay up a 10-pair bag from Hong Kong & let you know.... there might be some around here semi-locally, but I live in the boonies & I can waste a lot of time running around.

Make sure those things come with the crimp-ends too. The plastic housing is going to be useless without the crimp connectors that go on the wire! You have to crimp them onto the wire (they usually want to sell you some $100 crimper tool, but regular pliers will do) and then push them into the housing.

Oh, by the way... for anyone looking for miscellaneous parts such as this in the future, a lot of times it's easier to find them in the real print catalog of Digikey or Mouser. It's weird, but browsing the website and trying to narrow down to the right category by just category names can be really hard, especially when you don't know what the part is called! With the catalog you can just flip until you see pictures of what you're looking for.

Back