question on scale length and radius for large fingers

Gwalker999

being a person with large fingers ( i have to wear XL gloves)  what scale length and radius would I want for a 1 3/4 nut ?    thanks  :icon_scratch:

My guess is 25.5, or if your adventurous, baritone  :eek:

You'll probably hear someone say you should try the compound radius.

Actually, go to Guitar Center or something and try guitars. Decide if you like the strat fret placements or the 'paul fret placements. Gibsons use 24.75, and Fender uses 25.5.
A thicker neck also goes well with bigger hands.

You should also look at neck back contours at  http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/BackContoursPop.aspx

A fat back or a boat neck will provide some bulk for large hands to grip on to.

hmm - in that case I'd go wide and flat. The compound radius is the bees knees IMHO.

I have the same problem.  The 1 5/8 neck is really cramped.  There's no way I can go below 1 11/16 and 1 3/4 is just right.  And definitely go with the 25.5 scale length.  I have no problem with the compound neck.

ill look into the compound radius .. but why not just get a constant large radius? like a full 16 .. wouldnt that relieve some of the cramp from chording?  can you explain how radius changes the way it relieves fingers or visa versa  thanks

Gwalker999 said:
ill look into the compound radius .. but why not just get a constant large radius? like a full 16 .. wouldnt that relieve some of the cramp from chording?   can you explain how radius changes the way it relieves fingers or visa versa   thanks

16" radius is really flat so technically less comfortable for chording, flat fretboards tend to embrace that '80s action style of Shrapnel records guitar o solo matic shredders.

It's funny I do like compound radius necks but I still go for my vintage radius Tele, Leo just got it right.

ok I am confused now.. so I would think that a larger radius (flatter board)  would relieve the cramping in the finger tips (not talking about the overall hand comfort)  I want to break up the two  --  overall access to comfort of chording via whole hand mechanics  versus  the finger tips spacing needed to do the chord itself .. .  I would want the later of the two being  more space for fingertips    thanks  :guitaristgif:

Dan Erlwine in his handbook Guitar Player Repair guide, has a pretty good explanation of the compound neck.  If you don't have a copy, I highly recommend it.  Personally, I think it's a must for anyone of us who likes making guitars.

Gwalker999 said:
ok I am confused now.. so I would think that a larger radius (flatter board)  would relieve the cramping in the finger tips (not talking about the overall hand comfort)   I want to break up the two  --  overall access to comfort of chording via whole hand mechanics   versus   the finger tips spacing needed to do the chord itself .. .  I would want the later of the two being  more space for fingertips     thanks   :guitaristgif:

the 10"-16" compound is a pretty good medium. If I were to choose a straight radius I would go 10"

Just get the compound radius - it's great, nothing wrong with it, you won't notice it except to say 'dang I like this neck'. It's a very subtle thing, and there's no reason that big hands should need a particular radius. The most important thing is going to be the thicker neck - if you're afraid to go with a huge profile, get the 59 or the SRV.

Back