Question for you guys about Corrosion of Conformity.

Mr. Brian

Anyone know what kind of pickups Woody had in his SGs when the Blind album came out?  That's pretty much my favorite guitar tone for metal ever and I need to know!  Any help would be appreciated! 

Mr. Brian said:
Anyone know what kind of pickups Woody had in his SGs when the Blind album came out?  That's pretty much my favorite guitar tone for metal ever and I need to know!  Any help would be appreciated! 

Well, Brian, to be totally honest, every single one of us has a tone we're in love with, whether it be Woody, SRV, EVH, Slash etc.... Truth of the matter is this. Those guys use a squajillion dollars worth of effects and gear in the studio and on stage. Not to mention their bones, skin, pressure of fingers on the frets etc... There is no way on earth a set of pickups is going to get you that tone.....or even near it.

My suggestion is this, sit back with a beer, if you're old enough, and seriously think about the sound you are after. Are you looking for warm lows and scorching highs? Do you want the mids to be full or thin? Once you've figured out the sound you're wanting then hit one of the major companies like DiMarzio or Duncan and check out the spec sheets on their various pickups. See how they rate in low's, middle's and high's and then grab the set that you think will have the sound you're looking for.

Seriously, chasing after a tone can be a life long endeavor. Good luck and let us know what happens.
MULLY

mullyman said:
Mr. Brian said:

Well, Brian, to be totally honest, every single one of us has a tone we're in love with, whether it be Woody, SRV, EVH, Slash etc.... Truth of the matter is this. Those guys use a squajillion dollars worth of effects and gear in the studio and on stage. Not to mention their bones, skin, pressure of fingers on the frets etc... There is no way on earth a set of pickups is going to get you that tone.....or even near it.

My suggestion is this, sit back with a beer, if you're old enough, and seriously think about the sound you are after. Are you looking for warm lows and scorching highs? Do you want the mids to be full or thin? Once you've figured out the sound you're wanting then hit one of the major companies like DiMarzio or Duncan and check out the spec sheets on their various pickups. See how they rate in low's, middle's and high's and then grab the set that you think will have the sound you're looking for.

Seriously, chasing after a tone can be a life long endeavor. Good luck and let us know what happens.
MULLY

The thing that really amazes me about his leads on that album is it seems the output is so high yet maintains clarity,  almost like he is using a ceramic magnet on a jazzbucker or something.  Really great sound.  I'm 30 now and I'm not really a tone chaser persay but that sound on that album has always peaked my curiousity.    Thanks for your reply!

Yo Brian,

I get pretty good clarity out of my stock SG (and all my guitars), no matter the pickups used. Provided you are starting with semi-decent guitars and good quality pickups, the first place to look would be your amp/effect settings. More than anything is to back off the preamp gain or distortion. You can easily get that much clarity with a good Marshall or Mesa played fairly loud, rather than with a lot of distortion.

Second thing is to make sure you aren't sucking out all the mids from your sound. MIds are very important in retaining that clarity, making you cut through the mix and not mushing things out, especially on leads.

Keeping those two things in mind you can get yourself pretty close. Grab a stock SG off the shelf, a tube Marshall or Mesa off the shelf, turn the knobs and go for it. Then find yourself from there.

If you want to more specifics on what COC uses you can check out this article: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=99050

J

WOW ANOTHER C.O.C. FAN!!!!!
MULLY has a point though, especially these guys, they have used 'who knows how many' guitars through the years.

I think when they were recording Blind, Woody was using both Gibson SG and The Guild Polara, or S-100. Amps were Marshalls and Mesa DC series...I think...
Depending on the song, you could be hearing the stock pups, OR the Invader he's been using forever.

After he switched over to ESP, it's been the Invader in the bridge all the way.
Pepper uses the the Anderson H3, maybe the plus...You are also hearing that in the mix as well. 
I think they switched pups when they went to ESP....you may just be heaing the Magic of the Gibson 500 or the 490.  :icon_tongue:

Man, I've seen them like 420 times and that beat up white ESP just keeps getting better, but it never changes!

If you like the tone he gets from Wiseblood on, you wanna go Invader. You can visually congfirm this on the 'Live Volume' dvd.

"need no chain, it's in their brain, and we don't stand a chance..."

C.O.C. Forever! 

MUYFUE said:
WOW ANOTHER C.O.C. FAN!!!!!
MULLY has a point though, especially these guys, they have used 'who knows how many' guitars through the years.

I think when they were recording Blind, Woody was using both Gibson SG and The Guild Polara, or S-100. Amps were Marshalls and Mesa DC series...I think...
Depending on the song, you could be hearing the stock pups, OR the Invader he's been using forever.

After he switched over to ESP, it's been the Invader in the bridge all the way.
Pepper uses the the Anderson H3, maybe the plus...You are also hearing that in the mix as well. 
I think they switched pups when they went to ESP....you may just be heaing the Magic of the Gibson 500 or the 490.  :icon_tongue:

Man, I've seen them like 420 times and that beat up white ESP just keeps getting better, but it never changes!

If you like the tone he gets from Wiseblood on, you wanna go Invader. You can visually congfirm this on the 'Live Volume' dvd.

"need no chain, it's in their brain, and we don't stand a chance..."

C.O.C. Forever! 

Thanks! 

Mr. Brian said:
mullyman said:
Mr. Brian said:

MULLY

The thing that really amazes me about his leads on that album is it seems the output is so high yet maintains clarity,  almost like he is using a ceramic magnet on a jazzbucker or something.  Really great sound.  I'm 30 now and I'm not really a tone chaser persay but that sound on that album has always peaked my curiousity.    Thanks for your reply!

Good luck in your search, man. I hope my last post didn't come off like I was talking down to you or anything. That would be the total opposite of my intention. But from your reply you seem to have taken it the way I meant it. It's just really hard going after a tone. I've been searching for a sound in my head for a loooong time. Every once in a great while the planets will align and I'll get the sound I like. I don't mess with the knobs on my amp, don't change guitars etc.... and the next time I play, that tone is gone....but it does show up every once in a while.

But, for these tones we hear on CD's, I still think it has a lot to do with the gear they use......studio magic if you will. Or it could just be something that they have in them that brings that tone out.

This kind of reminds me of a story I heard one time. Ted Nugent was touring with Van Halen, or he had stopped to see one of their shows or something, and he had always been infatuated with Eddie's tone, his signature "brown sound". Well, Ted asked Eddie if he could play some through his gear so Eddie let him play through his stuff with his personal guitar, probably the Frankenstein I would imagine. Anyway, Ted sounded nothing like Eddie, he sounded like Ted.
MULLY

Back