Question for Stratamania

Spud

Experienced Member
I there a standard Strat style 5 way wiring where with an extra mini switch, I could wholesale switch between the effect of 250K pots and 500K pots across all 3 pickups?? Only using 3 CTS pots no push pull malarkey.

Off the top of my head, you could get something like that by using standard wiring and then having a switch between the selector switch outputs to the volume and tones, which would mean a 3PDT or 4PDT toggle would be needed. The switch would either send the three respective signals to three * 500K pots directly in one position and in the other adding 470K resistance to simulate 250K pots.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head, you could get something like that by using standard wiring and then having a switch between the selector switch outputs to the volume and tones, which would mean a 3PDT or 4PDT toggle would be needed. The switch would either send the three respective signals to three * 500K pots directly in one position and in the other adding 470K resistance to simulate 250K pots.
Also, can you provide a quick synopsis regarding the ten dimensions of string theory?

I thought nobody would ask, but here we go.

With the help of my Copilot AI assistant :)
Also, can you provide a quick synopsis regarding the ten dimensions of string theory?

Certainly! String theory is a fascinating area of theoretical physics that aims to unify our understanding of the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. Let’s delve into the ten dimensions predicted by string theory:
  1. Four Dimensions We Observe:
    • Our everyday experience involves three spatial dimensions (length, width, and height) and one time dimension. These are the familiar dimensions we perceive in our macroscopic world.
  2. The Hidden Dimensions:
    • String theory introduces six additional spatial dimensions beyond the ones we directly observe. These extra dimensions are compactified, meaning they are curled up and hidden at extremely tiny scales.
    • Physicists refer to these compactified dimensions as “extra dimensions” or “hidden dimensions.”
  3. Why 10 Dimensions?
    • String theory predicts that spacetime must have precisely ten dimensions for mathematical consistency.
    • Initially, this prediction raised questions: “Where are these extra six dimensions?” However, the solution lies in the work of Kaluza and Klein, who proposed that these dimensions are rolled up or compactified.
    • In other words, the extra dimensions are so small that we cannot directly perceive them at our macroscopic scale.
  4. Observing Extra Dimensions:
    • How can we detect evidence of these extra dimensions?
    • Consider the inverse square law, which governs forces like gravity and electrostatics. In three spatial dimensions, the force between two objects is proportional to the inverse of the distance squared
    • However, in string theory’s nine spatial dimensions (including the hidden ones), the force would be proportional to the inverse of the distance raised to the power of nine
    • Physicists search for deviations from the inverse square law to find evidence of extra dimensions. Experiments must be conducted at incredibly small distances to observe any such deviations1.
In summary, string theory’s ten dimensions provide a unified framework that combines quantum mechanics and gravity. While we cannot directly perceive the extra dimensions, their mathematical consistency plays a crucial role in our understanding of the fundamental fabric of the universe.

For more in-depth exploration, you can check out the articles on plus.maths.org and Space.com.12

Aha!! That clears things right up. I was stuck on the hidden dimensions. Thank youIMG_5536.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of pots and string theory ... I love a bright sounding guitar and for the next project I was thinking about a seymour duncan everything set or a red devil set ... I was thinking about 500k pots ... one tone one vol ... w a 22 cap ... would you stick with 250k pots or something else ... just trying to get potato. . I mean creative juices flowing.

Speaking of pots and string theory ... I love a bright sounding guitar and for the next project I was thinking about a seymour duncan everything set or a red devil set ... I was thinking about 500k pots ... one tone one vol ... w a 22 cap ... would you stick with 250k pots or something else ... just trying to get potato. . I mean creative juices flowing.
Maybe 500k volume and 250K tones? I may end up doing that meeself

Per the original question.

I there a standard Strat style 5 way wiring where with an extra mini switch, I could wholesale switch between the effect of 250K pots and 500K pots across all 3 pickups?? Only using 3 CTS pots no push pull malarkey.

An alternate, which I think I would lean towards, using a super switch and a 4PDT.

• Use one half of the super switch for standard five-way wiring
  • Use the other half of the super switch for standard five-way wiring with additional 470K resistance parallel to ground
  • 3 poles of the four-way switch are used for the hot wires from the pickups to switch to one half of the super switch or the other
  • From the common outputs of one half of the superswitch and the other half these go to the other pole of the 4PDT
  • The common of this pole of the 4PDT goes out to the volume pot in.

A bit more wiring than the first idea but would result in a better overall switching.

Why not use stacked 250/500k pots from Fender (p/n 0990847000) and use a DPDT mini toggle to swap the input from the switch and the signal to the output jack between the two?

Per the original question.

An alternate, which I think I would lean towards, using a super switch and a 4PDT.

• Use one half of the super switch for standard five-way wiring
  • Use the other half of the super switch for standard five-way wiring with additional 470K resistance parallel to ground
  • 3 poles of the four-way switch are used for the hot wires from the pickups to switch to one half of the super switch or the other
  • From the common outputs of one half of the superswitch and the other half these go to the other pole of the 4PDT
  • The common of this pole of the 4PDT goes out to the volume pot in.

A bit more wiring than the first idea but would result in a better overall switching.
Thank you for taking the time, but this much wiring reminds me of string theory before I fully grasped some of the minutia.

Why not use stacked 250/500k pots from Fender (p/n 0990847000) and use a DPDT mini toggle to swap the input from the switch and the signal to the output jack between the two?
Spud does not believe in stacked pots.

Spud does not believe in stacked pots.
Well they believe in you!

But just to be sure we are on the same page - these are not Jazz Bass style stacked pots with concentric knobs… these take a single push on knob that turns both pots at the same time. Shouldn’t operate any differently than a single pot except for a little more friction.

Well they believe in you!

But just to be sure we are on the same page - these are not Jazz Bass style stacked pots with concentric knobs… these take a single push on knob that turns both pots at the same time. Shouldn’t operate any differently than a single pot except for a little more friction.
Stacked pots are part of an insidious plot that aims to trick your guitar into complex convoluted evil wiring. Just say no to stacked pots!

Actually had a telecaster with a stacked pot thingy from Torres Engineering that was pretty cool. It had a four way tele switch for a series option and the outer ring of the tone control was a normal tone, but the inner knob was midrange control, so at 5 it was normal, and at 10 it was a mid range boost and at 0 it was scoop. Only thing I had to do was solder it to my output. Gave that guitar to my nephew. Don't miss it. Is Torres even alive? I dunno. For what it was, it worked pretty good so no complaints and made my Real Lawrence PUPs sound great.

Back