Question for JackTheHack (and others !)

po_0784

Hi!
    as I speak french only, forgive me about my prescholar english  :sad:. I want to ask you some specific questions since you seems to have quite a collection of warmoth guitar in different wood combination! P.s : the zebrawood strat with rosewood neck is drop-dead gorgeous  :eek:.

Ive been playing 7 strings guitar since I can remember. I like to play stuff l ike Greg Howe, Guthrie Govan, but also some country like Brent Mason... And all the classic shredders too! The guitar im currently using is a RG7 prestige with a scalloped fretboard. Basic Basswood / maple neck/rosewood fretboard combination.

I intend to get a warmoth guitar since they offer the scalloped fretboard as an option  :eek:ccasion14: which is the coolest thing on earth. Not really interested in doing the job on my own again (really KILLS the hands to work with a file for whole days). My question is the following. Since I saw your strat, I just cant stop dreaming about a Scalloped all rosewood neck ! :blob7: . Some note: I dont care about weight, actually, the heavier it is, the more Iike! Ive got 0 sweety hands (never a bit of rust on my strings even after 4 months) so I dont think I will have a problem with an unfinished necks).

My questions:

1) How different is an all rosewood from a tonal perspective from, lets say a mahogany neck or a maple neck. Is it THAT much different.  :icon_scratch:
2) What are your others gutiar neck wood, how do they differ/compare (wenge, padouk?).

I intend to put a body with some pretty classic wood... alder or mahogany with John Suhr DSV, V60L and DSH+ pickups (Govan....I know, flame me!!).

N.b : how about selling your strat to me  :icon_thumright:

Thanks for all the info!

PO Mérizzi
Quebec

Your Canadian prescholar english is equal my Advanced brazilian english... (I'm on advanced level on my english scholl and I'm the only who speak it better...)

For the rosewood neck:
Jack always said that he couldn't find much difference between mahogany+rosewood than an all rosewood neck... If my memory is still ok...

Thanks for the answer!
                                Actually I hope it doesnt sound too different, cause all rosewood neck are just so sexy!!! Good to hear from people in Brazil. You got all the beautiful woods around there. I'm jealous! I hope they are protecting the forest better than they were doing it before. What kind of warmoth guitar do you have?

Another Q? for Jack :  Is your rosewood neck unfinished?!? Is it std indian rosewood?

PO Mérizzi
Québec, Canada

I have a Tele (Alder + Spalted Maple) body that is almost sold to Mr Jack, when I had time to go to São Paulo, I'll contact him if he is still interested....
And just bought a L5S Korina + Birdseye maple body that I'm going to build a all Brazillian Rosewood neck (perhaps Ziricote fingerboard).. the problem always is find a place to work the wood... Goint use: Gotoh locking tuners, tune-o-matic + string thru body, Bare Knuckle Pickups Alnico4 Mules!

Welcome to the boards!  Always nice to see another Canadian here...  Even if you are a Quebecer  :laughing7: Just kidding.

Hope you find all the answers you need.  Happy building.

"1) How different is an all rosewood from a tonal perspective from, lets say a mahogany neck or a maple neck. Is it THAT much different. "

All Rosewood necks (I've got a couple) sound pretty much exactly like mahogany, all other things being equal. I'm unsure about Brazillian rosewood, but weight on the Indian rosewood necks I've received from Warmoth is only slightly more (a few ounces maybe) than mahogany, and balance is therefore not an issue.

"2) What are your others gutiar neck wood, how do they differ/compare (wenge, padouk?)."

To date, exotics are, comparing them to your standard maple/mahogany necks that come on most stock guitars:

Canary - Just a little warmer than maple; with a ebony fretboard very similar to a typical maple/rosewood fretboard neck, weight similar to maple
Pau Ferro - I have one neck with a ebony fretboard; very bright, on a par with maple, but VERY heavier, would not use one on a body that didn't weight at least 4.75 lbs.
Wenge - Great "in between" sound about halfway in between mahogany and maple in tone, with very good resonance, slightly heavier than either
Goncalo Alves - Not in my personal collection, but replaced a badly warped maple neck on an American Std. Strat with a Warmoth one piece Goncalo neck for a guy I know. Noticibly heavier than maple/mahogany; almost as warm tonally as mahogany, really "warmed up" the Strat single coils.

"I intend to put a body with some pretty classic wood... alder or mahogany with John Suhr DSV, V60L and DSH+ pickups (Govan....I know, flame me!!)."

The neck makes most of the difference in terms of any other factor wood wise in the build. Keep in mind that using a Rosewood neck on a Strat type single coil PU configuration is going to sound a lot warmer and a bit less "Strat-like" in terms of tone.

"N.b : how about selling your strat to me "

I'll think about it.....

Back