question about wiring diagram

GoDrex

OK I'm a little confused...

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h2v2t3w2sp

in that diagram if, for example you look at the tone pots, if you label the legs from left to right: 1,2,3 - - - then on the volumes since they are facing the other way, in the diagram looking left to right would they be 3,2,1 ?  It's hard to explain what I mean but I'm not sure if the way they are facing in the diagram changes  the order of the legs or do you read it left to right for both.

Or does this not matter?

Doesn't matter. If you turned the pots all facing the same way either in the diagram or physically in your guitar all the connections made in the diagram wouldn't change, but the diagram would be harder to read and more of a pain to solder up.

GoDrex said:
OK I'm a little confused...

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h2v2t3w2sp

in that diagram if, for example you look at the tone pots, if you label the legs from left to right: 1,2,3 - - - then on the volumes since they are facing the other way, in the diagram looking left to right would they be 3,2,1 ?  It's hard to explain what I mean but I'm not sure if the way they are facing in the diagram changes  the order of the legs or do you read it left to right for both.

Or does this not matter?
i understand you and yes, just always look at the pots in the same orientation as in the picture, if you need to turn the whole guitar around for each pot to keep from getting confused do it, how you chose to # it all is up to you and you only. and if you do get confused and wire 'em backwards you'll know because everything will work but one knob or the other will work backwards and will have an odd taper.

Both your question and Dmitri's answer a a bit confusing. If the actual question is "what is the orientation?", it would be from the bottom of the guitar looking up into the control cavity. Imagine that you are looking at the diagram from that orientation and just make the connections as shown from that orientation. You ARE connecting the opposite lugs between the Vol and Tone pots, that is correct.h

it's your choice how you # them.

i could be confused or jack can be. i think your post can be interperated in 2 ways.

the function of each lug does not change depending on how the pot is oriented.

for example: if you look from the back side of all your pots with the lugs pointing up or away from you and you # them left to right 1, 2, and 3 then at full volume(shaft full clockwise viewed from the top/front) lugs 2 and 3 will have near zero resistance between them. 3 will go to hot from the switch in a volume control

with the volume turned to zero lugs 2 and 1 will have near zero resistance 1 will go to guitar ground in a volume control

for this #ing the tones will use lugs 1 and 2 only. there are several ways to hook the cap to it but the lugs used don't change

when rotate the pot around like the volume in the drawing 3 will land on the left.

if things get confusing try to look at all pots in the same orientation, even if you need to flip the guitar around as well as the drawing.

I'm going to ignore the push pull pots for now to simplify things a bit.

Imagen each pot as a simple straight switch.  On one end of the switch you have one connection, on the other end, you have another connection.  The little slider you move from one side to the other has a connection on it as well. 

So:

In the diagram, this is how the volume pot is sitting.
C1---------------------C3
              |
            C2
C1 is connected to the pickup.  C2 is the "output" to the selector switch, and C3 goes to ground.  Electricity always takes the shortest path to ground.  The signal from your pickup flows into C1.  When C2 is close to C1 the best path to ground is out C2, through the switch, down to the jack, up the cable, into your amplifier.  When C2 is closer to C3, more of the signal can jump from C2 to C3 and go right to ground, thus the signal reaching the amp is weaker, the volume is lower. 

This is how the Tone Pot is sitting.

C2
              |
C3---------------------C1

The signal comes in via C3.  C2 is wired through a cap and then to ground.  C1 goes nowhere.  The signal flows into this in parallel with what is going on on the volume pot.  I can't explain it correctly, but basically being in parallel lets the signal take either path.  When C2 is closer to C3 more of the signal will want to flow away from the volume pot, into the tone pot via C3 and over to C2(on the tone pot).  Because C2 is tied to a cap, only certain frequencies are going to take this path.  Think of the cap as a filter.  Now, when C2 is closer to C3, more signal will be able to use this path to get to ground.  So more treble is sent to ground, thus less makes it out the volume pot and to the amp.  When C2 is closer to C1, less treble can use this path to get to ground so it goes out via the volume pot. 

Now what you will notice in all of this is the the two pots seem to be wired backwards.  This is true, and thats why the tone pot is turned 180 degrees in relation to the volume pot.  You could turn it to point the same way as the volume, but it would take a little bit more wire :)  Basically the pot is flipped and wired backwards so its easier to wire. 

I hope this makes sense, and I hope it has some bearing on your question. 

Back