Question about the NUT

dmraco

Master Member
I have been putting together my Warmoth Les Paul with a Warmoth Pro neck with a LP headstock.  I noticed the groves Warmoth cut in the nut are not parallel but angled toward the tuners.  I assume this is so the strings bend slightly toward the tuners and the bend it not so dramtic as it would be with parellel groves.

My worry is the Whammy I am putting on the guitar.  Will the losening of the strings when using the whammy cause the strings pop out or will these angled groves actually help?

thanks

Yup, the angled slots prevent binding. 

Nut slots at a final height don't have the string buried deep enough to prevent it.  If its deep enough to hold, the strings are muted.  It honestly depends on how aggressive you are with it but id say its iffy without a locking nut.

Nah....  if you divebomb a huge amount, its no worse than detuning... or tuning up... do your strings pop out when tuning up?  No.

That said, locking nuts (and I dont like 'em) do help with huge major divebombs and pullups.

=CB= said:
... do your strings pop out when tuning up? 

I do not have it together yet to answer your question.  I do not suspect HUGE divebombs with the wilk whammy.  My concern was not really it coming out of tune but the strings coming completely out of the grooves. 

dmraco said:
=CB= said:
... do your strings pop out when tuning up? 

I do not have it together yet to answer your question.  I do not suspect HUGE divebombs with the wilk whammy.  My concern was not really it coming out of tune but the strings coming completely out of the grooves. 

Won't happen  :icon_thumright:

thanks...after a long 30 days of curing the nitro, I started sanding and polishing.  All I need is the custom neckplate and I am ready to go!

With a Floyd trem, yes...the strings can go completely slack on a big dive, and will pop off of about ANY non-locking nut.
With about any other type, like say a Wilkinson, no, the strings wont leave the nut grooves.

Which is why I don't use the Floyd much...I kinda hate locking nuts. But if it's a Floyd with no locker, then take it easy on the full dives.
Or do them on the last song of the set!

Back