question about burst finishes

rightintheface

so im tossing around with an idea for my next project, however planning is in the very early stages:
hollow tele, flame maple on rosewood. jungle burst finish, cream or white binding.

the thing i'm curious about (as i can't find a clarification on the W site), can bursts carry a satin finish, or do they have to be glossed? i thought it would be kinda cool to have a satin burst, especially seeing as i don't want the rosewood to be glossed either (and i'm not really a fan of gloss). along that same train of thought, is it extra to ask for just the maple cap to be finished (ie burst, satin etc), and have the rosewood back unfinished, and left completely raw?

i know, they're kinda weird q's. just tossing come ideas around  :cool01:

I don't believe Warmoth will do a maple fingerboard on anything other than a maple neck.

Wait, are you talking about a rosewood neck with flame maple board, or a jungleburst flame maple top with a rosewood back? If it's the former, I'm sure they don't do it. If it's the latter, I'd have to vote against.
Yellow- green burst and rosewood??? Really? How about just a plain clear satin finish over everything, I'm sure it would look more than awesome.

tfarny said:
Yellow- green burst and rosewood??? Really?

well i figure that those colours work well together in the forest, so why not try it for guitar  :icon_biggrin: i like the raw wood look, hence the rosewood back (and prob a rosewood/ebony boatneck).

so a satin burst isn't possible? gregg? gloss just aint my thang. probably because i have the greasiest meathooks in the world, and i ate having to polish guitars all the time.

Trust me, nobody has nastier Alien Sex Fiend Acidic Hands than me. I can take gold plating off a roomfull of guitars just by entering it. I can rot a set of nickel strings simply by entering the city limits of the town it lives in.

RLW said:
Trust me, nobody has nastier Alien Sex Fiend Acidic Hands than me. I can take gold plating off a roomfull of guitars just by entering it. I can rot a set of nickel strings simply by entering the city limits of the town it lives in.

That's rough stuff there...

So do they apply satin finishes to bodies at all?

I'm fairly sure that the clear is a separate stage from the colors used to make the burst, so it seems like they would be able to do satin over anything - but I don't know that.  Paint compatibility is a harsh mistress, and its possible the stain they use for their necks may not be usable for guitars, or it may just be something they don't offer.  Give em' a call and ask! 

When I ordered my neck, I asked if I could have the alpine white finish as a matte (satin) finish, but they said it could not be done.  :dontknow:

We have a new satin formula we are using for bodies that seems to be working out well now so you should be able to get about anything with satin on it.

Awww a NEW formula????

I sort of liked the OLD forumula, which, after a bit of play, glossed out where ya rubbed on it. 

Back