putting a locking nut on a 7 string tiltback neck

TheMusician

Hi Everyone - I finished my build last year.  The details are below if you're interested.

I have a Floyd Rose trem with an Earvana-type nut.  I was thinking of putting the locking nut on.

The problem is that the locking nut is twice as wide as the flat part of the neck where the nut goes.  I can't cut the neck lower to increase the flat area because the truss rod is there.  The locking nut screws will screw into the flat part of the neck but half the nut will hang in space.

I see 3 options - attach the nut and let it hang in space or create a wedge to put between the nut and neck, or just don't attach it.

Anyone attach a floyd rose locking nut to a Super 7 tiltback neck?  Thanks in advance for any replies!  Doug

Here's what I built - 7 string body, swamp ash for a fendery tone, Koa top, clear finish, floyd rose trem and Eavana-type nut (the fine tuners are awesome compared to using keys for tweaking).  The neck is roasted flame maple, 10-16" cmpd radius, Shaller tuners.  I put Fishman Fluence 3 voice humbuckers in this and they are amazing!

The other challenge which you have not mentioned  is the following:

Please Note: Installation of the Earvana nut requires widening the nut slot from 1/8" (3mm) to 1/4" (6mm). This makes switching back to a traditional nut challenging, so be certain you like the Earvana nut before having a neck set-up for it.

Reference: http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/StringNut.aspx

Given that you would have to ensure that the locking nut would need to be 1/8" closer to the headstock there may be less shelf for it than you imagined as in this sense a locking nut is the same as a traditional nut in where it needs to be placed.

Thanks Stratamania!  My fav guitar is a 30 year old strat with a roasted neck from Warmoth.

The Earvana is fitted correctly so that's not an issue.  But I don't see a way to attach the locking nut given the headstock configuration.

TheMusician said:
Thanks Stratamania!  My fav guitar is a 30 year old strat with a roasted neck from Warmoth.

The Earvana is fitted correctly so that's not an issue.  But I don't see a way to attach the locking nut given the headstock configuration.

Thanks. I was not suggesting the Earvana was not fitted correctly. But because of that, the leading edge of a Floyd nut would have less shelf space because of that unless it is a retrofit that did not have an 1/8" of fretboard removed.

You might be better off getting a new neck or sticking with the nut you have.

Back