original
IMG_1301-1.jpg

work in progress
0721092355-00.jpg

done
0722090035-00.jpg

0722090036-00.jpg

hey, it was fun! im going to slap on a maple board! it should be nice

http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-STRATOCASTER-FINGERBOARD_W0QQitemZ320293482277QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item4a92faaf25&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1240|293%3A3|294%3A50

dbw said:
Looks like a nice clean job :)

you have no idea. i was expecting the truss rod to be right there so i could change it for something more premium, but w/e. it has the skunk stripe and i dont want to take that off. but i do need a new nut or whatever because i ruined a while back  :doh:

This is your method for replacing a ruined nut?  :icon_jokercolor:
Please keep posting, looks like you're having a lot of fun with it. It's well beyond my pay grade for sure.

lol, no the nut is just something that needed to be done, thats getting done. might as well, amirite?

The nut on my LP is crap... it's not even glued down right now.

Guess I better tear off the fretboard.  :icon_biggrin:

also while youre at it, strip the paint off the body! you might as well!  :laughing3:  :icon_jokercolor:

DBW, I recommend just bashing the nut with a ball peen hammer till it looks like a big booger. Good enough for the blues!

mayfly said:
Cool!

Good on you for taking that on!
+1 there, this can be a bear of a job.  :icon_thumright:

I hope your frets go in nice, and seat well on the first shot.  What fretwire are you looking at using?

Blue313 said:
mayfly said:
Cool!

Good on you for taking that on!
+1 there, this can be a bear of a job.  :icon_thumright:

I hope your frets go in nice, and seat well on the first shot.  What fretwire are you looking at using?

im not sure? im thinking of Super jumbo frets

Super Jumbo is a relative term though.  They manufacturer stuff much larger than Warmoth carries.  First and foremost, the most important measurement is the fret slot (hopefully its a standard 0.023").  When you get the board in, measure them with calipers or feeler gauges for depth and width just to make sure.  Metal composition, crown width, crown height and crown type are generally selected based on what tang.

You may want to get some books on fretting before diving in.  There's some tools you'll just need.  You may also want to consider a spare fretboard.

Blue313 said:
Super Jumbo is a relative term though.  They manufacturer stuff much larger than Warmoth carries.  First and foremost, the most important measurement is the fret slot (hopefully its a standard 0.023").  When you get the board in, measure them with calipers or feeler gauges for depth and width just to make sure.  Metal composition, crown width, crown height and crown type are generally selected based on what tang.

You may want to get some books on fretting before diving in.  There's some tools you'll just need.  You may also want to consider a spare fretboard.

thanks man! what books would you recommend?

I have to go with Dan Erlewine for starters.  "Fret Work Step by Step" is a great resource.  Also the infamous "Guitar Player Repair Guide" has some good primers on the topic, as well as being a must have for other repairs.

Back