Project #1: Strat, EVH/Frankenstrat/Charvel style build

69autoXr

New member, first post!

A few pics of my first project build (actually a re-boot of another project that didn't go so well), a Fender/Warmoth strat in the vein of an EVH/Frankestrat or Charvel, with my own twists.

Specs:
-Body:  MIM Alder Fender Strat, non-recessed Floyd Rose, a few bumps and bruises.  Bought on ebay.
-Neck:  Warmoth maple/maple Modern Construction, right-handed reverse, Wizard profile, 6150 frets, R3 nut
-Bridge:  Floyd Rose Original (German) w/42 mm brass big block
-Pickup:  Charvel EVH Art Series humbucker
-Pickguard:  Warmoth solid gloss black 0.060"
-Misc:  EVH D-Tuna, brass trem stopper, Gotoh tuners, tone knob, Charvel import neck plate

This project evolved from an attempt to build a single humbucker guitar using cheap parts from ebay.  When the neck and body that I started with gave me problems, along with other issues, I abandoned that and started over with a Fender body and Warmoth neck.

Interestingly, the MIM body isn't listed on Warmoth's "doesn't fit" list, but I did have a few issues with the 22-fret fingerboard overhang.  Initially I purchased a 0.090" BWB pickguard, but that didn't fit under the overhang, so it was replaced with the 0.060".  That still was a little too close for comfort, so I added a StewMac 0.25* maple shim, and all is well.

I'm really happy with this build!  This is my only non-recessed Floyd guitar, and I'm really impressed with the tone and sustain with the big brass block and trem stopper. 

And here it is:

Attachments

• gray strat2.JPG
    gray strat2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,413
Welcome! Nice minimalist aesthetic, I'm like'n it a lot! Congrats on your new toy.  :icon_thumright:

There's something about single pickup super Strats that screams "everything up to 11". Really clean guitar :icon_thumright: !

James Maher said:
Very nice build. Are you hooked now and planning the next one.

Thanks, and yes, I was hooked immediately.  Already moved through two more builds (see Misc. and Soloist for #2 and 3) since this one.  Made the winter go by fast!  Now my funds have to recover...

Back