private lessons in the Los Angeles area?

JamesL

Does anyone know someone?

I'm not happy with my playing and want to get better for myself and for my band...

MI just didn't quite cut it for me..

JamesL said:
I'm not happy with my playing and want to get better for myself
So many people refuse to accept that someone else might have something to teach them.....it kills me.  I may not know of one in your area,(and considering its LA there should be tons)  I wish you all the best in your journey.   You're doing it for the right reasons.  :icon_thumright:

Blue313 said:
JamesL said:
I'm not happy with my playing and want to get better for myself
So many people refuse to accept that someone else might have something to teach them.....it kills me.  I may not know of one in your area,(and considering its LA there should be tons)  I wish you all the best in your journey.   You're doing it for the right reasons.  :icon_thumright:

I enjoy criticism.. It helps me improve and I'm DEFINITELY not past asking for help, I know I need it  :laughing7:

And Kreig, I don't think me and you could get a whole lot done, We're both Jokers...  :glasses9:

On a serious note . . .

1.perfect practice makes perfect.
2.nothing substitutes for time playing your guitar, you've heard of "woodshedding" ie. time spent with just you and your guitar.
3.peaks and plateaus, as long as I've been playing, I reach new heights in my technical ability.
I NEVER would have believed how good I've become (by my own standards), when I started at 16 years old. I just turned 47.
The PASSION has NEVER faded for me.
4. a way to be more productive is aim with a clear focus of where you want to improve. and remove all distractions.(cat,people,calls)
a. ear training
b. sight reading
c. vibrato (wrist and whammy)
d. speed
e. scales
f. songwriting
h. theory
etc,etc...

5.there is a "ZONE" - when you become one with the guitar. I've been there on a few occasions.
even where you are breathing as one with your axe. your guitar stays spot on in tune, even with the wildest of bends, your heartbeat is in sync, your pitch is spot on, your ears,brain,fingers,heartbeat,breathing,flows out from your being through to the amp and the speakers, back to your ears in this circular flow, and it becomes an extension of your soul.(TOO DEEP for some, I know ... , but I have friends who can relate.

you'll get better like everyone else does . . . practicing hour by hour :hello2:

kreig said:
On a serious note . . .

1.perfect practice makes perfect.
2.nothing substitutes for time playing your guitar, you've heard of "woodshedding" ie. time spent with just you and your guitar.
3.peaks and plateaus, as long as I've been playing, I reach new heights in my technical ability.
I NEVER would have believed how good I've become (by my own standards), when I started at 16 years old. I just turned 47.
The PASSION has NEVER faded for me.
4. a way to be more productive is aim with a clear focus of where you want to improve. and remove all distractions.(cat,people,calls)
a. ear training
b. sight reading
c. vibrato (wrist and whammy)
d. speed
e. scales
f. songwriting
h. theory
etc,etc...

5.there is a "ZONE" - when you become one with the guitar. I've been there on a few occasions.
even where you are breathing as one with your axe. your guitar stays spot on in tune, even with the wildest of bends, your heartbeat is in sync, your pitch is spot on, your ears,brain,fingers,heartbeat,breathing,flows out from your being through to the amp and the speakers, back to your ears in this circular flow, and it becomes an extension of your soul.(TOO DEEP for some, I know ... , but I have friends who can relate.

you'll get better like everyone else does . . . practicing hour by hour :hello2:

Kreig...I no longer think you are crazy.  That is spot on!  :icon_thumright:

You might be a derelect, but that is a different discussion altogether.  :laughing7:

DocNrock said:
Kreig...I no longer think you are crazy.  That is spot on!  :icon_thumright:

Sooo... you're offering to fly me down to L.A. so I can give James a lesson? .....    :hello2: :laughing8:

Studio stud Carl Verheyen teaches privately in LA, I think. I've read a few of his columns in magazines and he's got some solid melody-generating ideas - I would guess it's more theory & writing skills you're looking for than just chops, as anyone can get fast with a metronome and practice? Some of the really big guys like Satriani (SF) and Gilbert (LA) do take on a select number of people, since your band has got some clips around you've got a leg up. I assume you've got Petrucci's video, where he discusses his filing system for articles and his practice scheduling? The best web posts I've found are in the "Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques" over on http://www.sevenstring.org/

There's a lot of "youthful" opinions and nonsense, but you can separate it out quickly. I just reposted my Morse-stolen speed-builder in the thread on "Why am I Getting slower over the years?" Scali, Drew, DistressedRomeo, Apophis and others gig regularly and take their playing and chops seriously.

Not being anywhere near LA I was staying out of this thread, but I poked my head in just now after rehearsal...

James!  You're already a fine guitarist - far better than me in many respects!  I applaud your sense of modesty and selflessness.

At your level, you can't afford to screw around with just any teacher.  I second Subhead's advice and would approach one of Gilbert, Satriani or perhaps J5.

If you want to be the best, and I get the sense that that's your target, you need to learn from the best.

Back