Pot Shaft Length

rorycosgrove

Hi! I've recently received my custom neck and body, but a few hiccups have left me waiting for other parts. As I'm messing around with what I have, I realized I think I need long-shaft pots? My body is a soloist with a maple top, does the thickness of the top mean I need long shaft pots?

Will post more about my build on here soon, it's gonna be awesome!!

General rule of thumb:
If mounting to a pick guard or plate- short
If mounting through wood top - long

TBurst Std said:
General rule of thumb:
If mounting to a pick guard or plate- short
If mounting through wood top - long
Thanks, yea wish I had realized sooner haha. Is there a longer version of blade switches I’ll need too then? I gotta look into it

rorycosgrove said:
Is there a longer version of blade switches I’ll need too then? I gotta look into it

They route it out thinner where the switch goes, to save you the step of having to Dremel it out right there, it should fit.

ChrisMC said:
rorycosgrove said:
Is there a longer version of blade switches I’ll need too then? I gotta look into it

They route it out thinner where the switch goes, to save you the step of having to Dremel it out right there, it should fit.
Tysm that’s a relief, now just gotta find a quick way to get my hands on long shaft pots

rorycosgrove said:
….now just gotta find a quick way to get my hands on long shaft pots

…that’s exactly why I bought long shaft pots, short shaft pots, push/pull, regular, three different switches, etc etc etc….to avoid having to further wait on a $10 part. The pots should be easy to find and do overnight shipping on so you can continue with the build.

You will see conflicting info about shaft length because Warmoth's target is apparently 1/4" top thickness (not sure where I read that), in which case standard short 3/8" long pots should work perfectly.  But apparently the tops often come in a bit thicker, so that short pots won't work without a bit of routing (with a router or dremel routing bit) to get it down to 1/4".  So if you only have short pots and don't want to buy more, yes you can get them to work.

ChrisMC said:
rorycosgrove said:

…that’s exactly why I bought long shaft pots, short shaft pots, push/pull, regular, three different switches, etc etc etc….to avoid having to further wait on a $10 part. The pots should be easy to find and do overnight shipping on so you can continue with the build.

Also:
Now you have extra parts so you have no choice but to make another build.  :party07:

Seamas said:
ChrisMC said:
rorycosgrove said:

Also:
Now you have extra parts so you have no choice but to make another build.  :party07:
lol my thoughts exactly

ChrisMC said:
rorycosgrove said:

Smart move! Do you have any recommendations on places to buy from? Amazon seems to be the only way to get free shipping so quickly, and Warmoth and Stewmac don't have the long shafts in stock for my needs (standard 500K and push pull 500K).

Also this process has made me aware of the audio and linear tapers, I originally ordered from Stewmac and they don't really say anything about the tapers on the alpha product listing. From what I've read, audio seems standard for volume and linear better for tone but it comes down to preference

Get the long shafts and some extra nuts, then you can adjust the height to suit the thickness of the top by putting a nut on the inside - then your knobs won’t sit too proud. 3/8” shaft isn’t really long enough for a 1/4” top once you’ve got the lock washer on the back and another washer on the top, that 1/8” of thread for the nut disappears quickly.

Allparts have always shipped to me quickly but I’m in the U.K. so ymmv

Linear vs log is down to your own taste, I’d probably recommend start with log for everything and go from there. Fender seem to use log taper pots for all the controls, Gibson have chopped and changed over the years

elstoof said:
... 3/8” shaft isn’t really long enough for a 1/4” top once you’ve got the lock washer on the back and another washer on the top, that 1/8” of thread for the nut disappears quickly.
You can easily skip the lock washer inside, in which case CTS pots fit perfect on 1/4" material, with a washer and nut on the outside that perfectly end at the last thread.  My Alpha pots seem to be a bit longer than 3/8", so you can easily use a lockwasher inside if desired.

TheOtherEric said:
elstoof said:
... 3/8” shaft isn’t really long enough for a 1/4” top once you’ve got the lock washer on the back and another washer on the top, that 1/8” of thread for the nut disappears quickly.
You can easily skip the lock washer inside, in which case CTS pots fit perfect on 1/4" material, with a washer and nut on the outside that perfectly end at the last thread.  My Alpha pots seem to be a bit longer than 3/8", so you can easily use a lockwasher inside if desired.
This is what fits through with no washers/nuts, is that really enough space?

Attachments

• 188116197_6246668542025194_5990639059301746133_n.jpg
    188116197_6246668542025194_5990639059301746133_n.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 108
rorycosgrove said:
TheOtherEric said:
elstoof said:
This is what fits through with no washers/nuts, is that really enough space?
Looks like that top exceeds 1/4" thickness.  Standard CTS washer plus locknut is under 1/8", so your top really can't be over 1/4" for 3/8" long pots to work.

Think that’s an Alpha pot. Sure there’s plenty of ways to make it fit, but it’s worth doing the job properly with long shaft pots, use the lock washers, they exist for a reason

elstoof said:
Think that’s an Alpha pot. Sure there’s plenty of ways to make it fit, but it’s worth doing the job properly with long shaft pots, use the lock washers, they exist for a reason
Yea the ones I have are alphas, and I ordered up some long shafters 👍🏻

Back