Poor mans metal.

ClassicMetalMatt

If you had $500, and a guitar, what would you buy to get a good metal tone? By metal, i mean like anything from Megadeth to Metallica(RTL era) to Iced Earth. I personally have a decent metal setup for ~$350, but im curious, what would you guys do?

ClassicMetalMatt said:
If you had $500, and a guitar, what would you buy to get a good metal tone? By metal, i mean like anything from Megadeth to Metallica(RTL era) to Iced Earth. I personally have a decent metal setup for ~$350, but im curious, what would you guys do?

Pick up a used Carvin MTS3200 head and cab.  They have zero aftermarket cachet, so you can get a great deal on some quality stuff.  You could maybe get lucky and get a used Legacy or V3 head under 5 benjamins, but then you won't be able to afford the speakers.

Hey - what Bagman said. 

But, give us more info - what do you already have in the way of amplification?

Right now im running a Boss DS-1 into an Epiphone Valve Jr. Combo(unmodded). I have other pedals but none that i use daily. Ill probably be using the Valve Jr. as a head once i get a Madison 4x12 from a friend.

I'd look into the Carvin V3M. Really nice modern voicing to it and decently priced too. As Bagman said, there's very little resale value for Carvin amps, but they top knotch stuff for the price.

If you can scare up ~$200 more, the Legacy 1 head and 412 cab is a really good deal. Louder than hell, and what's more metal than LOUD?

A second hand Peavey 6505 (formerly called 5150) should do you well. Comes as a 120W Head or 50W Combo, depending on what you've already got.

I haven't looked at amp prices in years, but if it were me I would ditch all pedals and use amp distortion on whatever amp I got. 

If it were me, I'd get a Peavey Ultra Plus used off of eBay.  It should be $350-400.  Three channels, very good clean, and the precursor to the 5150 (ver 1) overdrive channel.  With the extra money, I'd get a choke, output transformer and adjustable bias knob to add to it.  It'd be about 500, maybe a little more, but you could spread out the parts upgrades to ease the blow.  Of course you'd need the cab, but you might be able to find an avatar 2x12 on craigslist cheap.  It is a very versatile amp.  Spring Reverb, Effects loop, multi eq for the channels.  I keep waiting for one to be a steal, just to grab one.
Patrick

Also the blackstar line is very very impressive for metal.  Fenders cleans, as well. Company started by some ex Marshall guys. 

Back