Poor finish on neck/body

BCrete603

Hi all,

It's been quite some time since I've posted on here but here we go:

I bought this walnut/maple neck from Warmoth a couple years ago. I held on to it for a long time before I was actually able to finish my build. It didn't take very long at all, with MINIMAL playing, for the finish to begin peeling off. I keep the guitar in a case in a climate controlled room. I have attached a few picture of the clearly visible spots but let me assure you it is coming off all over the place, including the fretboard.

I am really disappointed because I felt the quality isn't what Warmoth claims (and prices) it's products to be. On top of the finish coming off the neck, I noticed yesterday it has also begun to chip on the custom body as well.

Has anyone personally experienced this as well? I have always taken great care of my gear and I don't think it is my playing or maintenance to blame. I have had many guitars (non-Warmoth) over the years and never once run into this issue. Just curious if there is anyone out there or if there are any words of advice on how I should proceed.

Thanks in advance,
B

Attachments

• Chip1.jpg
    Chip1.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 303
  • Chip2.jpg
    Chip2.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 282
  • Chip3.jpg
    Chip3.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 300
  • Chip4.jpg
    Chip4.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 293
It's pretty odd that it came off both the neck and body. Makes me think it was something that the neck and body jointly experienced.

Aren't the necks nitro and the bodies some kind of poly finish?

I have a few Warmoth finished things and nothing has chipped off and it doesn't seem like that will happen.

Yes, I am thinking if its both the neck and body maybe they were both exposed to something they didn't agree with. It will be interesting if you find out what it was. I have 5 warmoths and never an issue yet with the finish. You may shot them a pic they may have some suggestions.

I had one neck with finish adhesion issues, but it presented itself immediately, not years later. Warmoth refinished it under warranty and it’s been fine since. It definitely is interesting that both the neck and body experienced it. Did you order the neck and body at the same time?
Photo%20Mar%2025%2C%2011%2012%2017%20PM.jpeg

I would suggest the best course of action would be to contact Warmoth sales with a link to this thread as the photos etc are already here.

I cannot say whether the time intervening between when these were ordered and now will make a difference but the sales folks are the point of contact.

Thanks guys. The first "chip" happened almost immediately but the other ones have progressed over time. I did not order the neck and body at the same time, I think I ordered the body about a year after the neck but I'd have to go back and look to be certain.

I will probably reach out to customer service but I'm sure they will tell me too much time has passed for anything to be done about it without it costing me more $$$, which I'm not sure I want to sink more into this project.

Thanks again for the advice!
B

It’s such an unusual thing that I have to agree with Bob Darby: it seems likely that the body and neck were both exposed to some condition that reacted unfavorably. If they had been ordered together then I could imagine some factor being out of whack in the paint department that day. But given that they were ordered that far apart, and given that this is not a commonly encountered thing with Warmoth finishes, it seems likely that whatever it was happened after-the-fact. That’s just the opinion of some guy on the internet of course, I’d still see what Warmoth has to say.

The pix remind of me of the way some water-borne lacquers do.... It looks peeled off.

Hard to say.  Since it looks like it started at the edge of the fret board, and then you say the body, I'm wondering where on the body.  Is it some place where your sweat is hitting it, or maybe rubbing up against a place in the guitar case?  I've repaired cracks and peel offs with super glue and then buff them out.

BCrete603....have you contacted Warmoth customer service for help with this?

If you haven't, you should.  :glasses9:

Back