Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Wolfgang

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Wizard

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • '59 Roundback

Votes: 19 18.6%

• Total voters
Well i have big hands and im currently using a gibson, which i think is different then a fender standard thin, but i don't know until i try one out.

I ordered my wenge neck with the wolfgang contour, and i absolutely love it!
fatter than the standard thin, but not too fat and asymetrical, very nice to play with and also helps your tone quite a bit..

(i once played on a friends dad's old evh musicman, and this was the best neck i ever played! warmoth got this shape pretty damn right with their wolfgang..  :headbang: )

I have had a couple '59s and I love them. I just recently received a boat and I like it a lot as well. Still prefer the '59, but after a bit more getting used to the boat I may change my mind. I also have a standard thin and I DO NOT like it. It may be because I am used to fatter necks, but that standard thin feels like a pencil. And heavy barre chord songs give me a charley horse in my thumb when I play the standard thin.

I don't know why people dislike fat/thicker necks. Once you get past the "Damn! This thing is huge" first impression, and get some playing time in, there is nothing like'em.

I have an Ibanez wizard, Fender american standard, Carvin H2 Holdsworth (Awesome), a "59 Roundback, and a fatback

As you can see, i seem to prefer the thicker profiles.

I voted Fatback.

I dislike fatter necks because I can't get my fricken fingers around them.  My hands are small.  The measurement from the tip of my middle finger to the middle of the bottom of my palm is barely 6 1/2". 

FATBACK!!!!

I have big hands...

but seriously, for any of you guys with pretty big hands, you should try it out- don't be timid

Ryan (Rounce55) said:
So would you guys recommend standard thin over Wizard?

I would recommend anything over the Wizard.  I've never put my hands around the Warmoth Wizard but have played plenty of Ibanezes.  Granted they feel fast, but because it's thinner, some would argue sustain and tone are lost.  Which is more important, to shred on something that sounds dead, or have a great, toneful neck.  There are plenty of shredders out there with average sized hands shredding on necks that are standard thin or larger.  You don't have to have scalloped finger boards, neck-thrus, or Wizard neck profiles to shred. 

I like different contours for different moods :)
I love the fatback in my thinline, but my favorite would probably be the standard thin, 1 11/16 with 6105 frets.
Also like the flat thin necks on my fender heartfields!

for a while I really wanted to try an asymetric contour like the wolfgang or the SRV, but totally changed my mind after trying a SRV sig strat at the guitar center.. very uncomfortable.

fatback all the way with boat and standard thin on a good second place. the fatback gives me the support for my hand where I need it, and the fat sustainy tone when I need it.

Wow, I'm the only one that has voted for the Clapton neck so far.  I have two Fenders with the Claptron soft-V, but the Warmoth Clapton V blows them both away.

too thin a neck apparently can give you hand fatigue.

i just ordered my 3rd warmoth neck. but all of them are the same - standard thin.

i want my hands to be familiar with all the necks i play - so the more similar they are, the better - so my hands wont find a difference playing them.

actually this is one of the reasons that i chose to go the warmoth way - neck familiarity.

PrestonSF said:
Hmmm.  I don't see J-Bass neck anywhere in this poll...  wtf?

You don't see Strat or Tele neck either because like the J-Bass, they are not neck contours.  FYI, my J-Bass neck is a standard thin, which is on the list.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
PrestonSF said:
Hmmm.  I don't see J-Bass neck anywhere in this poll...  wtf?

You don't see Strat or Tele neck either because like the J-Bass, they are not neck contours.  FYI, my J-Bass neck is a standard thin, which is on the list.

Ah.  Show's what I know...

Ryan (Rounce55) said:
So would you guys recommend standard thin over Wizard?
NO, I have standard thins and wizards, wizards feel far better than the standard thin...Very close to Jackson/Charvels, not an exact match but close... :headbang1:

But I do also have a total vintage on my stratocoustic that feels very nice, I don't remember what the contour was tho.... :dontknow:

I really like the SRV contour but as a side note, I picked up a super wide in standard thin which makes for an interesting combo. The jury still out on that one though.

It really just depends on the size of your hands, and you're playing style.  Wizards are far too thin, and have a flat back (at least the Ibanez versions do). The Standard Thin is comfortable, and the thickest I would ever want to go. My ultimate preference is .760"-.830", which is perfect. The Standard Thin is a little thicker, at .800"-.850".  I can't stand too thin, as well as I can't stand anything that feels like a baseball bat with strings on it.

Back