Plexi 50 head clone $300 - great deal or no?

tfarny

Master Member
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/1099925701.html
I was considering maybe building an 18 watt marshall head, but this is on craigslist for cheap - any thoughts? This is a 50 watt head, the one Hendrix used, right? I'm not very knowledgable about the different marshalls, but it seems like this chassis plus a head cab from mojo would be a $500 steal. I wonder if it would destroy a THD hot plate at full tilt - I could never turn it up without one, I'm sure, and then what would be the point.

er - wow.  Yea, that's a deal.  Even if it's busted, its a deal.  If you're into that tone, I'd get it.

BTW, Hendrix used the 100W models.  The 50W was famously used by Jeff Beck.

The hot plate will probably be ok.  Might get "hot" mid you  :)

Yeah that is a good deal, the cab without anything would be 250 new.  I'd go for it.  Besides you can look into all of the mods that people have done to them and try them.  It is a clone so you aren't destroying anything historic if you decide to mod it.
Patrick

I've got one of those (run it through my Orange 2x12 with celestion V30's).  I built it myself from Ceriatone's kit.  I was originally going to buy the 18Watt kit, but I decided to go for more Plexi tone, and it absolutely nails the sound.

www.ceriatone.com
They do two types.  the 1987 'Lead' and 1986 'Bass'. Note that the numbers are model numbers, nothing to do with years.  I've got the 1987.
You might want to check which version it is that is that is for sale, though I dont think there is much difference between the two.  I think the 1986 is voiced slightly darker I think it was originally designed as a bass amp??? Somebody correct me on this if I'm wrong.

This built as a complete working amp direct from Ceriatone would set you back US$690, though it's cheaper when ordered as a kit (obviously). The same thing 'Handbuilt' from Marshall would probably cost closer to US$1500 if not more.  At its current price of $300 it's a steal.

Nik (Ceriatone's head honcho) is fantastic and the parts he uses are top notch.  Orange drop capacitors, decent (handmade in-house, I think) transformers etc.
There's not much inside, so even if it's broken it should be easy enough to fix.

The Hot-Plate is rated for 185W (as quoted by THD on their website) so even if you run the 50W at full chat, you should be OK, but beware that running an amp at full blast will affect the limetime of tubes (depending on how you bias etc).

I love my 1987.  When you give it some beans, it really shouts, and it's loud as anything.
Go for it. :headbang1:

Thanks, guys. You led me to do more research on the different marshalls out there. I'm thinking this plexi 50 is not the sound for me, that I should go for a bluesbreaker type instead, and not rush into it. Sounds like this would be the perfect amp for a lot of other people, just maybe not for me. Or maybe instead stick with a tweed deluxe clone like I originally planned.  :toothy12: :toothy12:
I'll head down to Rudy's amp stop sometime soon and see what I can play there to give me more ideas.

whoa I had to email the guy about that. if I could get it I don't think I could pass it up.

tfarny said:
Thanks, guys. You led me to do more research on the different marshalls out there. I'm thinking this plexi 50 is not the sound for me, that I should go for a bluesbreaker type instead, and not rush into it. Sounds like this would be the perfect amp for a lot of other people, just maybe not for me. Or maybe instead stick with a tweed deluxe clone like I originally planned.  :toothy12: :toothy12:
I'll head down to Rudy's amp stop sometime soon and see what I can play there to give me more ideas.

Rudy's is a solid shop. Great sales folk to chat with. Also, I think we might have very similar amp tastes.

Back