Plecking

No, Warmoth does not, but their necks are very good right out of the box to the point that only the most scrutinizing of low action of players would feel that they need to. They start off with dead flat fingerboards, so you're getting it shipped in its optimal condition.

No, the frets are not Plekked. I think this is the actual relevant link...

Warmoth does not perform fret leveling. Most Warmoth necks are playable as they are received and do not require fret leveling. However, because wood moves with changes in temperature, humidity and string tension fret leveling may be required. This is best done after the neck has been strung up to pitch for several days and allowed to adjust in the assembled state. For this reason, Warmoth leaves this fine tuning to the end user.

I level and crown the frets on every neck I buy. I also add some fall-away toward the front of the fretboard and roll the edges. I have found the occasional high fret on a Warmoth neck, but they are, on average, very consistent right out of the box.

As much as I was wowed by the marketing of the Plek machine when announced, I've come to the conclusion that its results are highly operator dependent.

Last edited:
It would be difficult to PLEK a brand new neck. The guitar needs to be strung to tension for a period of time until it settles, then the truss-rod needs to be adjusted and settled again. For the total process the labour involved would probably double the price of the neck. If the user has a difference preference for string gauge and setup height it could also affect the result to some small amount. Typically the neck may continue to shift as it settles further. For these reasons, it's easy to make an argument that PLEK should only be done on a finished guitar.

I have had 6 Warmoth necks currently 5 and found all of them to be very good. I have used a fret rocker and found a couple frets I have had to address, but I don't set up for a super low shreddy action either. They have all been very playable out of the gate. The new Gibsons I have had all needed way more adjustment to make play right. YMMV. If I didn't like Warmoth quality , I wouldn't keep buying them.

Back