PLEASE MORE HARDTAIL STRAT BODIES ON SHOWCASE, tired of tremelo guitars....

tfarny said:
Yeah I've never heard of anybody using that 475. Why did you choose it?

I was looking for a hardtail option where the strings did not go through the body and did not want to do a TOM/STP.  In the end, since the body I wanted was already routed for a trem, I just went with a strat style 6-hole trem  -- not my first choice.

If trem and hard tail routes were omitted from the showcase bodies, the customer could then specify.  Perhaps that would increase the rate at which some of these would sell.

AND, some people don't want their volume pot 1/2" from the rear pickup on a rear routed body. I hate seeing a beautul body (there is a $1000 koa body availabale now like this) that have the pots pre drilled and tremelo etc. I think most of us pretty much agree it would be nice to leave the bodies in a more raw state and let the buyer choose these options. Especially on very rare and beautiful woods. I think Warmoth would sell more bodies this way and faster. Thanks for listening!

I don't use the tremolo myself, so I understand your frustration. I built a hardtail with a non-showcase body, but was so dissappointed with the tone I eventually chopped it.
Since then I've had trem's, but installed all 5 springs and it really is quite similiar to a hardtail. I personally feel that a large portion of THE strat tone can be attributed to all that steel mass.
Don't know if you've tried one like that but it does lock the trem unless you get a gorilla pulling on the bar!

DocNrock said:
tfarny said:
Yeah I've never heard of anybody using that 475. Why did you choose it?

I was looking for a hardtail option where the strings did not go through the body and did not want to do a TOM/STP.  In the end, since the body I wanted was already routed for a trem, I just went with a strat style 6-hole trem  -- not my first choice.

If trem and hard tail routes were omitted from the showcase bodies, the customer could then specify.  Perhaps that would increase the rate at which some of these would sell.

From my personal experience, I find this to be true. There are a couple strat bodies in the showcase I would own RIGHT THIS VERY SECOND if it wasn't for the fact that they're drilled for a vintage hardtail strat bridge and I want an american standard trem...

Technical question - if you finished a body without the spring cavity being routed, then wouldn't a customer have to pay extra to have it routed for a trem, then have the cavity re-finished? Plus, wouldn't Warmoth have to be more careful with re-routing a spring cavity into a finished body? (<<<<SCRATCH>>>>) I agree about tremolos - I think they could sell more "impulse" bodies if they weren't all ruined with a spring cavity - but I can see their point vis-a-vis their convenience.

("vis-a-vis" - ooh, la-la!) :blob7:

Didn't think about the spring cavity - that would definitely throw a wrench in the works and is probably why they do it. However, it would seem like with a body drilled for a hartdtail, perhaps they could omit the drilling so you can choose the hardtail of your choice, or elect to purchase that very body with an additional charge for routing/finishing a trem cavity in a previously finished body. Really, what's involved here - a quick masking of the trem cavity route and a couple sprays of poly?

Of course there is no need to really re-invent the wheel on this one, but it seems like the point about using the hardtail bridge you want makes sense unless there's so much to drilling/routing a pre-finished body that it's not cost-effective, but if that's so how come there are so many pre-finished guitar and bass bodies that offer "your choice of pickup routing" unless routing the trem cavity post-finish is truly a PITA.

When we put a body blank on to the CNC router to make a body from, we have to tell the machine to make a Trem cavity in the back, string through holes or nothing at all. We cannot go back and put it on the machine again to rout for any of those things again because the rest of the body routing routs away the CNC index holes that we need to remount the body back on the machine.

As a rule we do try and leave as many options available as we can. When we don't, then most of the time the reason is because of processes or a certain issue with that particular item; i.e. it was a return, it had an ugly spot that a rout would make go away, etc...   :)

ByteFrenzy said:
I wonder why so many people attach so much importance to what goes into the showcase? I mean, the only difference between the showcase and ordering custom is a few weeks of nerve racking suspense...

Not always the case.  There are many showcase only items.  Some finishes are showcase only.  Some of the guitar neck options like binding and inlays are not available for bass necks but are on bass necks in the showcase.  This is what frustrates me.  Seeing something I know they can make to order, but I want to combine it with another option not on the showcase item.

So seeing a one-off finish on a Strat but wanting it on a Tele or LP, out of the question.  Ordering a blocked or bound bass neck other than the showcase item, also out of the question.

It must've been nice to live back in the 20th century, when people didn't have all these problems in their lives..... :blob7:

(I'll bet if you offer to throw ENOUGH money at Warmoth, they'll agree to do just about anything....
{DO they have moose in Washington state?}
)

Back