Plans for my next build...

Timmsie95

Hello Warmoth family, I have returned, haha.
After coming to the decision that I'll never be able to afford an Aristides in the foreseeable future, I've decided to start saving for my next build.

It will be a swamp ash strat in satin seafoam green. Roasted Maple warhead  neck, black ebony board with moonglow dots & side dots.
White pearloid pickguard, with a Barre Knuckle Black Hawk in the bridge, and a Barre Knuckle Cobra single coil in the neck. Controls will be just a 3 way blade, master volume in the "tone 1" position, and a coil tap switch for the bridge pickup, in the "tone 2" position.

Now, what I'm not sure about is the bridge. I want to try a 2Tek, and I'm almost completely set on that, but i also really like the Hipshot hardtail, so I'm considering that, if it's not too difficult.
I've seen other guys using the Hipshot in their builds, but I'm still not completely sure what bridge route I'd need, and whether to get the Hipshot .125, or the Hipshot .175.
From what I've seen, I'd need the narrow spaced Strat bridge route, but I'm not sure
Could anyone help me out here?
Cheers!  :headbang:

Should look great! Just a heads up about the moonglow dots, lume is generally only useful in complete darkness, so unless you charge them fully and play in near complete darkness, they don't work that well. They are however white enough alone that they work as normal dots.

exaN said:
Should look great! Just a heads up about the moonglow dots, lume is generally only useful in complete darkness, so unless you charge them fully and play in near complete darkness, they don't work that well. They are however white enough alone that they work as normal dots.

Yeah, I rarely even look at the dots, I just figured if I'm going for dots, might as well use Moonglow, haha.

And in true Timmsie fashion, I did a mock-up...

Not sure if I'll go with roasted flame maple, or just plain roasted maple on the neck, but I found a showcase photo with the flame maple, and it looks pretty damn cool.

Attachments

• SeafoamStratMockUp.jpg
    SeafoamStratMockUp.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 364
I used a Hipshot hardtail bridge on a Strat some years back and had to fight with it a bit. I'm not sure my experience with that is of any value here, other than to say I'd start with the tall (.175") version first. If it ends up too tall, you can see if getting one .050" shorter would help or if shimming the neck would be better. Dropping the neck pocket floor is because it's too short is no fun (depending on your idea of fun). Or, perhaps you'll have no trouble at all. I never did resolve exactly what was goofy about that particular guitar, although I'm sure the day will come. It's still buried in storage.

Anyway, those are nice bridges, and that experience has in no way put me off them. They're machined out of brass, mount directly to the body, lotsa sustain and clarity, and have a very conservative presentation, so what's not to love?

I'd like to try a 2Tek, too. Can't get past the cost of the things, though.

Looks like it'll be an awesome guitar. I reckon that the flame maple would look good.

Cagey said:
I used a Hipshot hardtail bridge on a Strat some years back and had to fight with it a bit. I'm not sure my experience with that is of any value here, other than to say I'd start with the tall (.175") version first. If it ends up too tall, you can see if getting one .050" shorter would help or if shimming the neck would be better. Dropping the neck pocket floor is because it's too short is no fun (depending on your idea of fun). Or, perhaps you'll have no trouble at all. I never did resolve exactly what was goofy about that particular guitar, although I'm sure the day will come. It's still buried in storage.

Anyway, those are nice bridges, and that experience has in no way put me off them. They're machined out of brass, mount directly to the body, lotsa sustain and clarity, and have a very conservative presentation, so what's not to love?

I'd like to try a 2Tek, too. Can't get past the cost of the things, though.

Thanks Cagey! After reading that thread, and seeing how other people have had issues as well, I think I'll just stick with the 2Tek. I have 2 guitars with Hipshot hardtails already, so I'll make this one a 2Tek for some variety. Plus, I may get Ghost saddles eventually for this guitar, so the 2Tek will be way easier to hide the wires and everything.

Axkoa said:
Looks like it'll be an awesome guitar. I reckon that the flame maple would look good.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm leaning towards the flame maple.

On something that clean, the flame maple would look good. Of course, so would the other. You really can't go wrong either way.

Rgand said:
On something that clean, the flame maple would look good. Of course, so would the other. You really can't go wrong either way.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. The back of the neck would look really good and fancy, but then it's basic and bare bones from the front.

Back