Planning an LP

bamboofrog

Hi All

I have long contemplated a warmoth build. I am planning on building an LP, similar to a singlecut les paul special.

My current plans are a Flat Top Korina body, possibly a laminate but I am undecided. Twin P90s, and either a gotoh 510 bridge or string thru with a recessed TOM.

Neck will be a 59 roundback, warmoth angled neck, my current thoughts are wenge with a mac ebony board.

Do you think a laminate would look out of place/pointless on a flat top? Would you finish the Korina natural or with a transparent or burst finish?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Like the idea! Particulary I prefer the Lp "juniors" to the "specials" (Jr has one P90 and special two...)

I think the laminate top can look cool, too... And the finish can be both, a Tobacco burst would be sweet!

I'm not sure if Warmoth would do the route for it (can be slightly different, I guess), but could be nice use a Wraparound bridge...

I'd only put a matching headstock veneer...

Do it! Personally I don't like the look of the 510 bridge, I would put a different wraparound or a regular tune-o-matic on it, but that's my own preference. As to the lam top, just go with your gut and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. Korina looks terrible to some, great to others, and the amount and type of figure varies so much - personally I like about 2/3 of the Korina I see but usually hate the other 1/3. For a finish on Korina, I would want to see the specific piece before deciding, although Tobacco Burst seems to usually look beyond awesome on Korina.
Wenge / ebony neck with a korina body is what my bass has - they are beautiful and top quality woods.

I would personally go all bamboo tone-wood with a flamed and carved beetle-kill pine top; quince shellac burst.  Double bamboo baritone neck.   Pedal-steel pups and a wraparound tailpiece.   Yeah, and definitely an 11-way selector switch;  to get those classic, tasty, out of phase Chip "Scuffer" McMuffrie tones.   Parson's/White string bender?    :hello2:

It depends on which species of Korina, whether Black or White, you intend to use.

Black Korina has steaks and it may be a feature to show if finished in clear.  Some are not partial to the steaks and want to cover it up with a laminated top.

White Korina is quite plain but great for replicating the traditional Les Paul Jr. TV finish.

lamtop would be great on flat-top and p-90s.  Korina looks awesome natural.

Not a big fan on the LP flat-tops....the LPS>>>>>AWESOME.

just my 2cents

Please look at these and decide if a maple cap looks strange on a flat top guitar...........careful, the pink one is mine. hehe!!
MULLY

axiss.jpg

wolfiesp.jpg

Cheers Mully, they look pretty darn good to me, I like the simple control setup as well, just my opinion but I always think there are too many controls on a lot of guitars!

bamboofrog said:
Cheers Mully, they look pretty darn good to me, I like the simple control setup as well, just my opinion but I always think there are too many controls on a lot of guitars!

Agreed. One volume seems to do me just fine. I only put tone controls on my Warmoth Strats because a Strat looks lonely with only one knob on there.
MULLY

My plans seem to be constantlt changing, no wonder people have to build more than one guitar  :eek:. Starting to become a bit of a tele-lp jr (special) hybrid.

Korina flat top lp body with comfort contours, string thru recessed TOM, dual P90 (cream soapbars). Most probably typical lp control layout but I am undecided, I like the simple controls of the tele/lp jr,

A tele neck (wenge/mac ebony, 59 roundback) rather than LP, just not a fan of the headstock.

Thinking of finishing the body in dakota red or sonic blue, I'm a bit of a sucker for the fender car colours (quite like the shell pink as well but it might just be a phase :))
maybe something along these lines:
LPMockup.jpg

Back