Pickup Suggestions

JPOL007

Guys I could use some help picking out pups for a new build. It is a Soloist body with a beautiful 5A quilt top and Swamp Ash back. It will have a Wilkinson tremolo and Roasted maple Warhead neck. I’m thinking about something in the Filtertron family but could use suggestions. Here is a list of the pickups on my other guitars. Something that gives flavors not already available would be great.
Tele: with Hot Rails for telecasters
Custom body: with SD Jazz neck, SD JB Bridge
Tele with: MojoTone Quite P90 Neck, MojoTone 59 Clone Bridge
Custom with: MojoTone Low output 59 Clones
Regal with: MojoTone 59 Clone Neck and Bridge

What are the routes in the body?

Tones not currently covered are:
Strat
Tele
Filtertron
Gold foil
Rickenbacker
Fender WR humbucker
Hot Humbucker

TBurst Std said:
What are the routes in the body?

Tones not currently covered are:
Strat
Tele
Filtertron
Gold foil
Rickenbacker
Fender WR humbucker
Hot Humbucker
Hum neck and Hum bridge. 5 way blade switch and single hole for volume/tone.

Well that leaves ground uncovered that will fit as:

Filtertron (TV Jones does a hb sized one as I recall)
Gold Foil
Fender WR humbucker (Curtis Novak does one in a hb size)
Hot humbucker

TBurst Std said:
Well that leaves ground uncovered that will fit as:

Filtertron (TV Jones does a hb sized one as I recall)
Gold Foil
Fender WR humbucker (Curtis Novak does one in a hb size)
Hot humbucker
Cool...thanks for the suggestions :eek:ccasion14:

Perhaps a Suhr Thornbucker and Thornbucker+ in the bridge with either the Suhr Pete Thorn wiring or a Freeway blade switch.

stratamania said:
Perhaps a Suhr Thornbucker and Thornbucker+ in the bridge with either the Suhr Pete Thorn wiring or a Freeway blade switch.
Cool...I'll check them out. I talked with the guys at MojoTone yesterday...all of the really in demand pups have a 14 to 16 week delivery time.

JPOL007 said:
stratamania said:
Cool...I'll check them out. I talked with the guys at MojoTone yesterday...all of the really in demand pups have a 14 to 16 week delivery time.
Order today and it’s a tax refund gift LOL

TBurst Std said:
JPOL007 said:
stratamania said:
Order today and it’s a tax refund gift LOL
I didn't think of that :icon_scratch:but it could work out good :toothy11:

After a lot of research...I'm going with Filtertrons. TV Jones Classic in the neck and TV Jones classic plus inhe bridge. Thanks to everyone who gave help with this project :eek:ccasion14:

Triple P 90s! :p Baritone conversion! Jk but I'm so in love with my squier tele baritone cabronita that i can't get a similar project off my mind...

How about a set of P-Rails and Triple Shot rings? I am biased since I work for Seymour Duncan, but they really are wonderful pickups.

Mincer said:
How about a set of P-Rails and Triple Shot rings? I am biased since I work for Seymour Duncan, but they really are wonderful pickups.
I'm a huge fan of Mr. Duncan's pickups. I've got a Tele Hot Rails set in a Warmoth tele build and a Jazz neck JB bridge setup in a custom build. I even looked at your Filtertron model when doing research for this project. The TV Jones pickups just sounded like what I was hearing in my head. Wish I had all of the money I spent from 84 to 2001 on SD pups. Put the things in every guitar I bought (except the Parker Fly) during that time frame. Thousands of dollars spent (on pickups alone) to prove my playing sucked. I thought by using top of the line equipment...I'd know for sure if it was me sounding so bad. You guys and girls make a wonderful product :redflag:

Great story! I've spent a whole lot on SD pickups, too. Every guitar (except my 1982 The Strat) has them now! I had some Custom Shop ones made for the Warmoth build earlier in the year.

Chances are Seymour makes what you're looking for. I know there's always that person with a 9.5-string guitar who needs a pickup wound to 24.8k with special wire wrapped around a magnet type only found in the Matrix, but you know for most of us there's likely to be a couple good options.

ive said it before but the Invader is still my "go to" pup (pick-up). i think it even sound good clean but i seem to be in da minority there. i thinl your amp is important when it comes to dat (again probs in the minority there 2 lmao)

i prolly wouldn't use them to play Ska, tho.

Then again, Ska music is really just the kind of noise that plays in a 13 year olds head when they get extra moz sticks (short for mozzarella cheese sticks). its not real music, just horns and #skankin' lmao

Back